Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 02-08-2003, 02:33 PM   #1
DaNieL_TKS

Default GF care!

After looking at most of the fishes in local LFS i decided to had a gf tank.So i bought home with me 8 chinese oranda,on the first day everything was ok,second day 1 of them die...third day 3 of them die.Untill now 5 left.I had check my tank nitrite and it was ok,ph at 7.But just couldnt know why they die?Hope to have some advice from the fellow bro here.
Old 02-08-2003, 03:08 PM   #2
wingshya
Account Disabled

Bro! same here..no matter how many gf i bought to add in ? still left until e first 3 gf i put in? Bro! u at least u luckier than me,still left 5? I also don know y they die? water parameters everything ok ma..
wingshya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2003, 03:15 PM   #3
DaNieL_TKS

Haha we on the same boat,GF are just unpredictable!
Old 02-08-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
DaNieL_TKS

Sometime it sad to know that so ppl dun even check their water parameter and their GF even nicer and healthier,in the other hand we check up lot of suff in water parameter and yet result was a bye bye from our fish.Haiz maybe luck do make a important role in keeping GF.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:37 PM   #5
Username

Quote:
Originally posted by DaNieL_TKS
Sometime it sad to know that so ppl dun even check their water parameter and their GF even nicer and healthier,in the other hand we check up lot of suff in water parameter and yet result was a bye bye from our fish.Haiz maybe luck do make a important role in keeping GF.
Wah bro, you couldn't be more true about this... it's all about luck man.
Old 02-08-2003, 05:49 PM   #6
CyberET

8 fishes need alot of water le.. first thing, water conditions in LFS are normally damn terrible, so most of the fishes are sick in a way or another.. when you have a new tank, and new fishes, the BB issn't established yet.. it takes weeks to do so.. when picking fishes.. best to get those hyper active, swimming like crazy away from your net also.. temperature from the bag to tank could be too different.. remember to dechlorinate, in your case, you chould have setup the tank, dechlorinate, add salt to 0.3%, float the bag of gfs on the water to equalize temperature, 1hr later release them into the tank, but don't pour the water in the bag into the tank, cause its full of ammonia and bacteria and etc etc..
don't feed, or feed very little for the first few days.. do daily water change.. about 20% like that.. and hope that your filter matures as fast as possible.. monitor them closely for any signs of illness.. you checked ph and nitrite, but must check ammonia also...
luck issn't so impt except in finding a healthy, nice, cheap fish only lost 5 goldfishes as they got eaten up by pond mate.. other than that.. never lost any before.. its actually better to cycle a tank first with 1 fish, before you add in the rest.. suddenely add 8 into a new tank.. that may be the cause of problems
Old 02-08-2003, 10:37 PM   #7
samyeong

Hi Daniel,

Do u have gravel in yr tank? Curious to know...
Old 03-08-2003, 01:56 AM   #8
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by Username
Wah bro, you couldn't be more true about this... it's all about luck man.
Keeping goldfish successful is no luck but skills like what Bro CyberET has mentioned. On top of that how about quarantine. The pH, ammonia, nitrite......checked, water is okay but the fish also has to be freed from diseases and parasite to complete the start up. Quarantine of fish is even more important when new fish is added to existing stock. A new diseased fish can spread the disease or parasite to the rest of your fish, see how the problem get about.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:08 AM   #9
Username

Yah, skills does play a big part but some people just have the kind of luck.

Hm, how do I explain this. I know someone that keeps goldfish for many years and doesn't know anything about water parameters and his goldfishes have lived without any problems for quite some time. Water is brown and murky. His fishes didn't die so is it considered luck? Changes water once a week and never use any anti chlorine. If that's skill, I don't know what to say.

Last edited by Username; 03-08-2003 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-08-2003, 10:22 AM   #10
Username

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberET
only lost 5 goldfishes as they got eaten up by pond mate.. other than that.. never lost any before..
That's Unlucky .
Can know what is the pond mate?