Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 13-06-2005, 02:38 PM   #31
antonioshabirto

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowy_ham
U taste b4 har ??? how U noe ? joking only lah

Can share how U noe frozen daphnia taste different from live daphnia ?
i read a document or article that states that.... even when u buy the dry daphnia its states on the bottle that it taste differently from live ones.
Old 13-06-2005, 03:11 PM   #32
jowy_ham

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonioshabirto
i read a document or article that states that.... even when u buy the dry daphnia its states on the bottle that it taste differently from live ones.
dried ones are of coz different taste from live ones cos preservatives are added, but frozen ones ???

Do U have to link to the doc/article ?
Old 13-06-2005, 04:10 PM   #33
Imbellis

Hi all, we have a discussion over at AF Betta Talk that might be of your interest regarding Daphnias

http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...hlight=daphnia

cheers
Lyon
Imbellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 12:09 AM   #34
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbellis
Hi all, we have a discussion over at AF Betta Talk that might be of your interest regarding Daphnias

cheers
Lyon
Hi Lyon

Thanks for the information.

Quote : 'During my previous thread BBS vs Daphnia , I mentioned that one of the downside of using daphnia as main fry food was that it might introduce parasites/diseases.

However, after much googling around the net, I just found out that...

Daphnia feeds on algae, protozoa , bacteria , and decaying organic material.

Therefore theoretically, daphnia is indeed a safe and clean source of fry food (as much as bacterial and ich/velvet disease are concerned) because they will be devoured by daphnia long before it reaches yr tank.

Maybe next time, we could use live daphnia to treat bacterial/protozoa infection in fishes naturally, much like a cleaner agent. '

Appreciate if you could point us to this source of information if you still have the links.

AroHong
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2005, 12:30 AM   #35
Absolute Ranchu

I agree. They are very safe. Even for Japanese breeders who have to find dapphnia in public ponds, they do not even do much to them before they feed to their TVR. They clean them a bit and feed them direct. However, I recommemd that you get a dapphnia net and clean them thoroughly before feeding. Even the dead ones are ok, fish will eat them too. I often freeze them when I have too much and use later in the year when they are hard to find.
Old 15-06-2005, 12:18 PM   #36
samuelphan
Senior Dragon

The problem in Singapore is that live daphnia can be very expensive.

But you can get them cheaper from the supplier ... but in larger quantity.
But the water that the daphnia comes in are normally foul water. So clean the daphnia well and feed with care

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Ranchu
I agree. They are very safe. Even for Japanese breeders who have to find dapphnia in public ponds, they do not even do much to them before they feed to their TVR. They clean them a bit and feed them direct. However, I recommemd that you get a dapphnia net and clean them thoroughly before feeding. Even the dead ones are ok, fish will eat them too. I often freeze them when I have too much and use later in the year when they are hard to find.
samuelphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2005, 07:08 PM   #37
9Ranchus

Other than C328, are there any LFS in the south west (telok Banglah area) that sells frozen daphina (h*k*r* brand?)

thanks