Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 11-06-2005, 12:06 PM   #1
Ranchu Lover

Default Daphnia or "water fleas"

We know what are daphnia or "water fleas". We also know that it is good for our bbrs. The question is where to buy them to fed our bbrs? I am starting this Thread so that members can list down the LFS that we can buy daphnia to feed our precious bbrs.

I will start by listing the LFS that I know sells them regularly.

1. Lam Hong Aquarium
Blk 163, AMK Ave 4, #01-476, Tel: 64525780
Selling at $0.50; $1.00; and $2.00 per packet. Shop only opens after 11.30am.
Old 11-06-2005, 12:46 PM   #2
LVANILLA
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranchu Lover
We know what are daphnia or "water fleas". We also know that it is good for our bbrs. The question is where to buy them to fed our bbrs? I am starting this Thread so that members can list down the LFS that we can buy daphnia to feed our precious bbrs.

1. Lam Hong Aquarium

Lim, I am concern if the source of the feed is contaminated, the fish will get sick. How to ensure or is there a method to minimise it frm happening. Wash ? or medication to sterile ?Where do they get these feed from?
LVANILLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 01:08 PM   #3
Ranchu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVANILLA
Lim, I am concern if the source of the feed is contaminated, the fish will get sick. How to ensure or is there a method to minimise it frm happening. Wash ? or medication to sterile ?Where do they get these feed from?
This I agree. What I normally do is to sieve the packet of daphnia over a coffee sieve and rinse the contents over running water for about a few seconds. Empty the daphnia into a pail of clean tap water with small amount of salt and pp. Aerate the pail of daphnia and leave the daphnia for several hours before feeding them to my bbrs.

I use a scope to scope the amount of daphnia and sieve it onto the coffee sieve to drain off the water before feeding it to the bbr.

I used to feed my bbr for about 3 days after hatching with newly hatched brine shrimp (artemia) for 3 days and then feed them daphnia for another 7 to 8 days before using JRL pellets.

I also discover that you can actually keep your daphnia for many days by feeding them with spirulina powder. Take a small amount of spirulina powder and put it into a small bottle with about 100cc of water. Shake the contents vigorously and pour it into the pail of daphnia. This way, you can start a small culture of daphnia and fuss free. Unless you have lots of spare tanks or tubs, your bbrs will out eat your daphnia culture.

I learned from this forum that it is not good to feed brine shrimp and pellet feed for bbr. So I must experiment using only daphnia on my next batch of bbrs. Remember, I am still a newbie like you. Still learning.
Old 11-06-2005, 02:06 PM   #4
LVANILLA
Arofanatic

Quote:
This I agree. What I normally do is to sieve the packet of daphnia over a coffee sieve and rinse the contents over running water for about a few seconds. Empty the daphnia into a pail of clean tap water with small amount of salt and pp. Aerate the pail of daphnia and leave the daphnia for several hours before feeding them to my bbrs.

I use a scope to scope the amount of daphnia and sieve it onto the coffee sieve to drain off the water before feeding it to the bbr.

I used to feed my bbr for about 3 days after hatching with newly hatched brine shrimp (artemia) for 3 days and then feed them daphnia for another 7 to 8 days before using JRL pellets.

I also discover that you can actually keep your daphnia for many days by feeding them with spirulina powder. Take a small amount of spirulina powder and put it into a small bottle with about 100cc of water. Shake the contents vigorously and pour it into the pail of daphnia. This way, you can start a small culture of daphnia and fuss free. Unless you have lots of spare tanks or tubs, your bbrs will out eat your daphnia culture.

I learned from this forum that it is not good to feed brine shrimp and pellet feed for bbr. So I must experiment using only daphnia on my next batch of bbrs. Remember, I am still a newbie like you. Still learning.

Wah, u newbie, then I am nothing liao. HAha

I am worried abt my BBR health so today want to go buy daphnia. Was wondering if frozen daphnia is gd enough?
Old 11-06-2005, 03:40 PM   #5
Ranchu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVANILLA
I am worried abt my BBR health so today want to go buy daphnia. Was wondering if frozen daphnia is gd enough?
Live is always slighly better. For smaller bbrs, the frozen daphnia is slightly too big for them.

As the saying goes " no fish, prawns also can". But sometimes, prawns may be better.

BTW, where did you buy the daphnia?
Old 11-06-2005, 04:28 PM   #6
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:

1. Lam Hong Aquarium
Mr Toh says that he repacks the daphnia himself with clean water and its OK to pour straight into tank.
AroHong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2005, 04:41 PM   #7
Ranchu Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by AroHong
Mr Toh says that he repacks the daphnia himself with clean water and its OK to pour straight into tank.
I kena a few times before. So better play safe.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #8
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:

This is interesting, I didn't know that daphnia can be kept alive for many days by feeding spirulina powder. I just throw every thing (including water) into the tank. My 1st $1 packet took 36 hrs to finish, 2nd slightly faster - did a 50% WC, now 3rd packet almost finished in 24 hours.

I just checked and strangely the BBRs have fatten up alot, the backs have smoothen up and filled up to quite a smooth curve.

Daphnia to me is definitely the best - BBRs feed 24hrs non stop, even in the dark. This means non stop slow graceful swimming and excerising.
Old 11-06-2005, 10:32 PM   #9
AroHong

AFC Member

Quote:
I kena a few times before. So better play safe.
Noted, I better take some precautions as well.

BTW Daphnia is also available at 96 Sungei Tengah - Look for Ah Hock (1st shop on the left.) Understand its available from about 9am. Will probably be getting some from him next week. I'll check for his telephone and PM to those who need as its better to call and reserve before making the trip.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:15 AM   #10
LVANILLA
Arofanatic

Quote:
Live is always slighly better. For smaller bbrs, the frozen daphnia is slightly too big for them.

As the saying goes " no fish, prawns also can". But sometimes, prawns may be better.

BTW, where did you buy the daphnia?

Lam Hong lor. buy the 50cent pack.I was told the source is frm malaysia. Everyday they are supplying them. Did what u advice. PP first then feed.