Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 06-05-2004, 01:34 AM   #21
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroluvdisc
i didnt really try that.
but the gold fish came to my tank, looks like not as active as in the shop, why?
and, beside cotton wool, what can i put into my OHF DOLPHIN 808?
Only 24 hrs, my water become cloudy with juz 2 x 6 inches ranchus, why (havent even feed them yet)?

Takes some time for the fish to settle down, don't worry Another thing is LFS always use high current flow in their tank to force their gf to swim continuously to look active. Not good in the long term, but thats just one of their sales tactics.

I also have 808 and used to put CR or BioHome under the filtering wool to host BB. But the filter wool tends to let the poo get onto the media very often which results in choke media , moreover it more "LAY CHAY" to wash these media so now I use bio-sponge instead. Easier maintance ...... sorry lah I very lazy one See my gallery on my OHF setup diagram.

Lastly the cloudiness is expected, that is because you tank is not cycled yet. At this stage you have to monitor Ammonia very carefully. Do get SeaChem Ammonia Alert or some test kit ready to test water every alternate day, I think you can change 20% every alternate day or 30% every 3 days to keep the water good until you get your test kits. Then you can make better decision on when to change water. It will take 2 to 3 weeks for a tank to established.

Maybe you could tell us what bio-media and how much you used for your IOS.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:37 AM   #22
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBT
wat if the gap between glasses were larger?(ie wide enough 4 hands to reach in n scrub)will it be easier to clean?
Yes there is a compromise as the gap gets bigger the suction effect drops. That means if the gap is too big heavier poo or waste might not get suck up from the base of the input area.
Old 06-05-2004, 02:02 AM   #23
RBT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly_sg
Yes there is a compromise as the gap gets bigger the suction effect drops. That means if the gap is too big heavier poo or waste might not get suck up from the base of the input area.

thanks a lot bro dragonfly_sg
Old 07-05-2004, 12:38 PM   #24
heroluvdisc

Quote:
Takes some time for the fish to settle down, don't worry Another thing is LFS always use high current flow in their tank to force their gf to swim continuously to look active. Not good in the long term, but thats just one of their sales tactics.

I also have 808 and used to put CR or BioHome under the filtering wool to host BB. But the filter wool tends to let the poo get onto the media very often which results in choke media , moreover it more "LAY CHAY" to wash these media so now I use bio-sponge instead. Easier maintance ...... sorry lah I very lazy one See my gallery on my OHF setup diagram.

Lastly the cloudiness is expected, that is because you tank is not cycled yet. At this stage you have to monitor Ammonia very carefully. Do get SeaChem Ammonia Alert or some test kit ready to test water every alternate day, I think you can change 20% every alternate day or 30% every 3 days to keep the water good until you get your test kits. Then you can make better decision on when to change water. It will take 2 to 3 weeks for a tank to established.

Maybe you could tell us what bio-media and how much you used for your IOS.
tks dragonfly_sg.
learned a lot of things.
so what media (bioballs? biowool?)should i buy to put into my OHF box?
can advice?
i stay in yishun, where can get those things?
tks.
Old 07-05-2004, 02:53 PM   #25
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
so what media (bioballs? biowool?)should i buy to put into my OHF box?

You can try BioHome, Eheim Substrate, Ceramic Rings or Bio-Sponge ( arrange in price and effectiveness order ). I personally feels Bio-Sponge is easiest to maintain but I think it's effectiveness is the worst of the lot. But if your OHF is just for secondary support ( ie. you have a Cannister or IOS ) then it relatively ok. If your OHF is primary, then you might want to use BioHome or Ehiem Substrate(more value for money).

I think you can find them at Y618. Enjoy

IMHO Bio-Ball are not recommended in an OHF.
Old 07-05-2004, 08:12 PM   #26
Freshman
Dragon

Qns :

got how many type of bio sponge?

Freshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 09:41 PM   #27
heroluvdisc

Quote:
You can try BioHome, Eheim Substrate, Ceramic Rings or Bio-Sponge ( arrange in price and effectiveness order ). I personally feels Bio-Sponge is easiest to maintain but I think it's effectiveness is the worst of the lot. But if your OHF is just for secondary support ( ie. you have a Cannister or IOS ) then it relatively ok. If your OHF is primary, then you might want to use BioHome or Ehiem Substrate(more value for money).

I think you can find them at Y618. Enjoy

IMHO Bio-Ball are not recommended in an OHF.
erh...eheim substrate isit the chips found together with the eheim canister filter?
i ve just put a pack into the OHF last nite. hope it works. thats for BB?
Old 10-05-2004, 12:30 PM   #28
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freshman
Qns :

got how many type of bio sponge?

I only know the black ones that fits exactly into the OHF type. They do come in bigger size too as I have seen it being used in some farms. But I believe there should be more types around, since just a normal sponge thats slightly harder and tougher than our normal household cleaning type.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:31 PM   #29
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
erh...eheim substrate isit the chips found together with the eheim canister filter?
i ve just put a pack into the OHF last nite. hope it works. thats for BB?
I guess thats the one. Take a look at Eheim Website to comfirm or you can take a picture for us to help
Old 11-05-2004, 10:32 PM   #30
heroluvdisc

Quote:
I guess thats the one. Take a look at Eheim Website to comfirm or you can take a picture for us to help
should be the one.
i oso bgt some ceremic rings and few packs of active carbon.
need to put in?