Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 10-05-2011, 12:09 PM   #1
ymmij
Senior Dragon

Default Experience of an Election Counting Agent

Counting agent me
Published 8 May 2011 personal perspective , politics and government 168 Comments

“At the last election, we had only thirty-something polling agents and counting agents,” said Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) chief Chee Soon Juan at a briefing on Polling Day. He was smiling. The party office was full to overflowing.

I hadn’t planned to be a counting agent. Besides having an Australian visitor in town, for weeks my friends were hatching plans to hold election-watch parties. Eventually, nothing much came of those plans and so when at around 4 p.m., a text message came to me from Vincent Wijeysingha appealing for help to round up more counting agents, I was able to volunteer.

“How many do you need?” I texted him back.

“We need about 100. So send as many as u can,” came the reply. I later learned they were about 40 short as at mid-afternoon.

With a flurry of text messages, I rustled up a significant number from among my friends, and via the gay and lesbian network. It was amazing how many people said Yes without hesitation, jumping into taxis to make their way to a part of Singapore few have ever been to (the party headquarters is really out of the way). At least one friend cancelled dinner plans to come in. This lot may not be representative of Singaporeans generally, but at least among this section of Singaporeans, ranging from National Servicemen to civil servants to retirees, the climate of fear is becoming a thing of the past.

The SDP was not the only party with a surfeit of volunteers, albeit a surfeit that poured in only when they realised ridiculously late in the day that they were short. I know for a fact from Sylvia Lim, chair of the Workers’ Party, that they too had more than enough polling and counting agents well before Nomination Day.

I shall take this opportunity to describe what happens at a counting centre, based on my first-hand experience.

After the briefing and the oath-taking (secrecy under the law) at the party HQ, three of us arrived at our assigned counting centre just before 8 p.m, to find three more volunteers for SDP already there. That made a total of six, the maximum quota for this counting centre. Shortly after passing through a security check to enter the hall, volunteers #7 and #8 came but were not allowed in because the quota had been filled. Wow, from being short of volunteers four hours earlier, the party had more than they could use!

The People’s Action Party’s six counting agents arrived after us, all dressed in party white, almost marching in like an infantry platoon — not like us, some in workclothes, one in shorts, complete with satchel bags and cups of sugar-cane juice. Ah, but beneath the ragtag appearance, we were armed with pens, notebooks and calculators. I wonder if the the PAP guys were surprised to see a full contingent for the SDP unlike previous years.

At around 8:30 p.m. the ballot boxes arrived from the six polling stations this counting centre would serve. The boxes (about three or four) from each polling station were brought to one of six assigned tables. Thus, each table would count the votes of one polling station, with an average of 3,000 – 4,000 ballots.

The tables were about 2 metres square — larger than a king-sized bed — around which was seated a table chief and four counting staff. Upon instruction by the officer presiding over the entire centre, the ballot boxes were shown to us, so we could verify that the seals which had been affixed at the polling stations at the close of the voting day were not broken.

The boxes were then opened and the contents poured out onto the centre of the table. Counting agents were free to move around to look over the shoulders of the counting staff. However, we could not speak to the staff, nor touch any ballot paper. If we wished to dispute the sorting of any ballot, we had to take it up with the table chief.

Generally, the counting process was very efficient, with all tables following a standardised procedure. There were several rounds of counting, with each block of sorted ballots rechecked and re-counted by another member of the staff.

Most of the time, the voter’s choice was obvious. Where the ballot paper had unusual markings, the counter would pass it to the table chief who would show it to a counting agent from each party and announce his decision as to how to treat that ballot. As counting agents, we could offer our views but his decision would be final.

Here are some of the things I remember coming across:

The vast majority of voters marked their ballot paper with a cross as in example 1. A few marked their ballot paper with a tick, but so long as the rest of the ballot paper was clean, the tick would be accepted as sufficiently indicative of the voter’s intention. Other than such clean markings, counting staff would pass the ballot paper to the table chief for adjudication.

Table chiefs routinely rejected ballots where any part of the cross or tick crossed the boundary line, such as example 3. Where the voter made more than one marking, as in example 4, it was always rejected by the table chiefs at the counting centre where I attended.

However, I later exchanged notes with my friend who was assigned to a different counting centre, and she told me that at that place, there was at least one incident when a ballot paper marked like example 4 was awarded as a vote for the “triangle and star” party. The table chief’s reasoning was that by law, the voter should mark his intention with a cross and since the cross was placed against the “triangle and star” party, the vote was given to it.

Occasionally I saw ballot papers with all sorts of strange markings, but so long as there was only one marking that did not cross the boundary (e.g. examples 5 and 6 above) the table chief would treat it as a valid vote.

More strange markings I came across, routinely accepted by table chiefs as valid votes.

I saw one ballot that looked like example 9, with two ticks. It was accepted as valid. There was one ballot that looked like example 10. It too was treated as a valid vote for the ” triangle and star” party despite my protest, the reasoning being that the voter only marked one half of the ballot paper and left the other half clean.

While watching another table, I came across another ballot rather similar to example 10, shown here as example 11. It too was accepted as a vote in favour of the “triangle and star party”.

However, the counting staff and table chiefs were scrupulously fair. For every “go to hell” ballot there were at least fifty more with the faintest of scratches, as in example 12. Again, they would use the same rule — so long as the single marking stayed within one box, they accepted it as a valid vote. The layman might think however that the marking was accidental, the result of a pen falling onto the paper or slipping out of the voter’s hand. Then again, there might well be some people who, liking neither candidate, deliberately let a dropping pen from a height of 40 cm make the choice for them. Who is to say that is not a valid decision matrix?

Source: http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/20...ting-agent-me/
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #2
beo

OMFG
So draw turtle is also valid vote!
Its true!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
Air Tiger
Endangered Dragon

in 2006, I was involved in the counting.
Saw those funny marking and drawing really make me laughed.
But I really wondered, why didn't they give it to Opposition instead of drawing and writing something in the PAP box????
Air Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
gonjinn
Dragon

Secenario 12 is really funny. Imagine if the pen landed on his feet (in sandal) with tip down and he will be hobbling back home!

Last edited by gonjinn; 10-05-2011 at 12:45 PM.
gonjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 02:48 PM   #5
zyblack
Arofanatic

Wooo so this is what really happen at the counting stations. Interesting to know that any form of markings will be considered even though it is not a "X". The "GO TO HELL" vote obviously back-fired on the voter.
zyblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:00 PM   #6
dave6238
Endangered Dragon

lidat not fair le..... tot they said only a x is valid? asking party to go to hell is considered voting for that party?
dave6238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 03:06 PM   #7
zyblack
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6238 View Post
lidat not fair le..... tot they said only a x is valid? asking party to go to hell is considered voting for that party?
Actually cannot blame the counting officers. It is the voters themselves who don't take the vote seriously. Want to prove themselves smart aleck and no need to follow regulations.

Now we all know why got so many void votes and why PAP can win despite the strong anti-PAP sentiment.
Old 10-05-2011, 04:17 PM   #8
Paradize
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by zyblack View Post
Actually cannot blame the counting officers. It is the voters themselves who don't take the vote seriously. Want to prove themselves smart aleck and no need to follow regulations.

Now we all know why got so many void votes and why PAP can win despite the strong anti-PAP sentiment.
besides voter, should blame the presiding officer. the voter did show clearly he not happy. so can either consider void or award to other party unless he cannot read ABC.

its is illogical to award to the person going to hell
Paradize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #9
zyblack
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradize View Post
besides voter, should blame the presiding officer. the voter did show clearly he not happy. so can either consider void or award to other party unless he cannot read ABC.

its is illogical to award to the person going to hell
Hard to say lah. Even scenario 12 where the "pen-drop" divination method is used, the officer still has to use magnifying glass to see the ink stain and award it to the party marked.

If he follows the rules to the dot, he has to award the vote to the party where the words were scribbled. His clear cut rule is to see where the ink falls on and whether the ink crosses over to the other box. People that draw circle he also award, people draw heart shape, turtle or even cross out the party symbol, he also awarded the vote to that party. So in order to be consistent, he has to award that "hell" vote to the party it was scribbled on.

If he does otherwise, then people can shoot him back too for being inconsistent.

Frankly you also know lah. If the bugger can be responsible enough to put a simple "X" and not be a smart aleck then the officer will not have the chance to award the other party. In the end can only blame the bugger for giving the officer reason to do so.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:02 PM   #10
beo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6238 View Post
I agree.
Anything other than an X should be void.