Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 11-03-2011, 11:23 AM   #51
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
"To me, the outcome of this election is not about me coming to this party and whether we can win, but what I hope is that after this election, Singaporeans understand that policies affect them, especially long-term policies, and for the young people, how much do you care for this country?" said Mr Tony Tan.
Exactly why we need oppositions, to be a good check and balance to a almost 1 voice parliament, where policies are pass thru in a breeze.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:14 PM   #52
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalcookie View Post
Exactly why we need oppositions, to be a good check and balance to a almost 1 voice parliament, where policies are pass thru in a breeze.
The problem is that chances of the anchor for PAP at Kallang-Moulmein is Dr Lily Neo, the one single PAP MP that I really respect.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 12:26 PM   #53
globalcookie
Dragon

Sacrifice... or more good years
Old 11-03-2011, 01:53 PM   #54
DinOBeeR
Arofanatic

Dr Lily Neo helping the poor in her ward

MP to launch social enterprise programme
by S Ramesh
05:55 AM Oct 13, 2010
SINGAPORE - Among the constituencies, the Kreta Ayer-Kim Seng ward under the Jalan Besar Group Representation Constituency has the largest number of rental homes - nearly 4,500 - and half of its residents are 50 years and older.

And its MP, Dr Lily Neo describes the task of finding jobs for these elderly residents as a challenge, on top of helping the hardship cases that she encounters during the meet-the-people sessions.

Said Dr Neo: "Some even ask for milk powder funding, and some just say, 'Can I have some money to sustain me for the next week?' It sounds strange in Singapore... (but) yes, I am meeting these problems here."

To help these residents, the ward has set up a social enterprise programme which pays participants $5 an hour to undergo training in craftmanship. The final products are sold on the market. Currently, 30 residents are on the programme, which will be officially launched next Sunday during a ministerial community visit by Law Minister K Shanmugam.

The ward also has a meal and grocery programme targeted at the elderly and needy, which involves nearly 200 hawkers, sundry shops and supermarkets in the area.

Under this programme, which was started in September 2007, vouchers in denominations of $2 are redeemable at neighbourhood stalls. So far, $223,638 worth of vouchers have been distributed to about 200 needy residents.

With the next General Election due by February 2012, Dr Neo, who entered politics in 1996, was asked whether she would be contesting it.

Adding that the decision lies with Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, Dr Neo said: "(I) feel fulfilled in my work here as I have been able to work with so many needy people. It's great that I have been able to make a difference to them."

SOURCE: http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore...rise-programme

==========================================

It always touches my heart to witness someone willingness to extend their helping hands to the poors and the unfortunate, and Dr Lily Neo is undisputedly one of such kind hearted soul.
DinOBeeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2011, 11:09 AM   #55
globalcookie
Dragon

Opposition parties prepare for fierce fight in SMCs
by Hoe Yeen Nie

Single member constituencies or SMCs are set to see strong competition in the general election, with three or even four-cornered fights looking likely in some places.

While some political parties have made their candidates known, others are choosing to remain mum, for now.

The Workers' Party team was at the new Sengkang West SMC at 9 in the morning to begin their walkabout.

And there to welcome them - incumbent PAP MP for the area, Dr Lam Pin Min.

He told MediaCorp he had heard the Workers' Party would be there, and decided to say hello.

Sengkang West has seen strong interest from the opposition, but Dr Lam is unfazed.

"We shouldn't take them lightly, all of them are credible. But I think the choice would have to be left to residents to decide, and our track record speaks for itself."

The Workers' Party's Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang says the stakes are higher this general election, as it will throw up Singapore's next generation of leaders.

And that's why Singaporeans have to be careful who they vote for.

Singapore's leaders had previously said that the election will be a watershed one, and one in which the next Prime Minister may likely emerge.

Mr Low says:

"The voter will have to understand that without knowing who is the future PM, are we really so trusting as to have one government, one elite group of people, managing the country's affairs without electing any opposition at all?"

Punggol East and Sengkang West are two new SMCs and they are facing a high chance of a three or even four-cornered fight.

But Mr Low thinks the Workers Party has a strong chance in the two new SMCs, because many residents were formerly from Hougang, where he enjoys considerable support as MP.

But he remained tight-lipped when asked who he would field, saying all would be revealed on Nomination Day.

However, the National Solidarity Party is taking the opposite tack.

It says 47-year-old lawyer Jeanette Chong-Aruldoss will be its candidate for Mountbatten SMC.

She says she wants to address the issue of rising costs.

"Voters (here) have not voted for 20 years, since 1991. So I hope I can now give them a choice."

NSP's man in Radin Mas will be Yip Yew Weng, a 60-year-old business investment consultant, who
previously contested in Yio Chu Kang SMC in 2006.

Mr Yip, who joined the party in 1992, has been walking in the area since February when the new electoral boundaries were announced, but says he's been involved in the NSP's activities in the Radin Mas area for many years.

But the Reform Party is also keen on Radin Mas.

Secretary-General Kenneth Jeyaretnam said the party will likely field Alec Tok, while he would go to Pioneer SMC.

Mr Jeyaretnam had previously said he would stand in Radin Mas SMC.

Still, speaking to reporters at the walkabout in the ward on Sunday, he noted that "everything is provisional till Nomination Day."

--------------
All these 3 corner fights are a waste of resources and diluting voters choice. Opposition, gather your strengths
Old 22-03-2011, 12:57 PM   #56
radiomad
Dragon

There is always this hype on the potential of the opposition putting up a good fight in key SMCs and some GRCs... but honestly in reality, on the actual polling day, results are pretty much a "fore-gone" conclusion.
radiomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2011, 03:54 PM   #57
The One

that's why with more uncensored information available on the net and more quality oppositions members this coming election,the citizens will have change the apathy mindset.

Vote wisely if you like your voices to be heard.
Old 25-03-2011, 01:12 AM   #58
Spakase

Haven't been following the news each election, but somehow, something tells me this one's gonna be the big one. No matter what the talent and sensible words but at the end of the day, it's whether there is a continued trust. It's been slowly eroded by events, one after another, and looking at the line up one suspect denial. Trust is very individual, one reacts when one is hit by laws or new rules....majority probably will react when hurt in the pockets. Even a reminder that water is obtained cheap and sold many many times to the people they are protecting sounds opportunistic (squeezing or skimming) now if the profit has gone to better the lives of orphans or some similar venture it would be a very different outcome in maintaining the trust. If everyone is middle class and doing well it is fine, but those who are impacted will question why the elite are paid so much even though so many issues are neglected and incompetence can be tolerated and even glossed over.
Personally, I feel the Women's Charter should be torn down. I think I'll celebrate if Chiam and Low wins a GRC each, and even Sylvia hope she gets good support. I don't have much of a feel for the others, some who have been around but lost everyone's trust (they should wise up and "disappear", noone will vote for them" so they are wasting their own and everyone's time) new guys whom we respect because of their father's belief but don't really know much except that there's a lot of fire in the belly. Problem with this kind of people is that they can upset the apple cart and that's not good. But if they are patriotic and sincere, coupled with that fire, and background, it could be a nice check which is exactly what many wants. After all, we all deserve to have a check to preserve accountability, we pay so much for it.
Old 25-03-2011, 10:51 AM   #59
AlvinLeong
Dragon

Quote:
MOM staff to get ergonomic chairs

STAFF at the Ministry of Manpower (MOM) headquarters in Kim Seng Road can expect designer chairs at their workplace soon.

The ministry is buying 472 Herman Miller chairs (photo), each priced at $575, for general office use for its staff. The chairs, which are not delivered yet, will cost $271,400 in total.

Herman Miller, an American manufacturer of office furniture and equipment, is famous for producing furniture in the modernist style.

An MOM spokesman confirmed in a statement yesterday that it has awarded a tender for the supply and delivery of the ergonomically designed chairs.

The chair model is called Celle, known for its cellular suspension system which supports the back and lumbar region. The tender was awarded to local furniture supplier Xtra Office.

In evaluating the tenders submitted, the MOM spokesman said, various factors were considered, such as the ergonomic design, durability and value for money. 'Taking all these factors into account, the successful tenderer met our requirements and offered the best value for money over the lifespan of the chairs.'
$575 for one chair.......... let's see any opposition will use this as a topic to gun down Minister of Manpower.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2011, 10:53 AM   #60
globalcookie
Dragon

and as the person who brings in projects for the company, I am only given an "IKEA" chair, that is already torn on some sides. DAMN am i not working in the wrong company?