Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Old 03-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #11
af2373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heuer View Post
is that Chee Soon Juan standing for election this year?
nope. bankrupt cannot.
Old 03-03-2011, 06:52 PM   #12
globalcookie
Dragon

Key departure reveals deep rifts within opposition party
By Faris – March 3rd, 2011Email Facebook Twitter Print

Mr Desmond Lim had previous disagreements with Mr Chiam, one of them include the latter’s plan to bring in the Reform Party into the Singapore Democratic Alliance.

A key member of opposition party Singapore People’s Party (SPP), Desmond Lim Back Chuan, has resigned.

In an e-mail addressed to SPP party leader Chiam See Tong and the media on Thursday morning, Mr Lim said he was stepping down from his position as a Central Executive Committee member and SPP member.

He also thanked Mr Chiam ”for the support, guidance and the opportunities that you have provided me during my time at SPP the last several years.”

Mr Lim was a protege of Mr Chiam for the last ten years, but the rift between the two has been widening since last year when the latter tried to bring the Reform Party (RP) into the alliance

Mr Lim told Yahoo! Singapore, he will be joining the Singapore Justice Party (SJP) soon and will be appointed as their Secretary-General. He will then represent them in the Singapore Democratic Alliance (SDA), an alliance that comprises the Singapore Malay National Organisation (PKMS) and SJP.

The SDA will be meeting on Thursday evening to re-appoint him as its Secretary-General.

“I will continue to contest under the SDA platform in Punggol East SMC, where I have been working the ground since 2005 and continue to stay connected with the ground since the 2006 General Election,” said Mr Lim.

“I hope other political parties would recognise the above effort that I had put in and avoid three-corner fight at Punggol East SMC,” he added.

The news follows an announcement on Wednesday that Mr Chiam and his SPP party were pulling out of the SDA.

Assistant secretary-general of the SDA, Mr Mohd Nazem Suki, 42, said that the alliance received an email from Mr Chiam on Wednesday afternoon stating his intention to bow out from the party. Mr Nazem declined to reveal further the reasons for his resignation and the content of the email.

In a meeting held on late Wednesday evening, the group’s supreme council made a decision to accede to his request as under its constitution, the SDA is not allowed to expel an elected MP.

This comes after it was reported on Tuesday that the alliance had relieved Mr Chiam, 75, of his duties as chairman, citing his frequent no-shows at meetings as the key reason.

Mr Chiam could not be reached for comment.

Veteran opposition member Chiam See Tong leaves the SDA. (Photo: Yahoo!)
When asked whether Mr Chiam’s resignation from SDA mean that the party will collaborate with RP, Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam said that there is no confirmation of a possible alliance.

“We have worked closely with Mr Chiam but there is no confirmation of an alliance,” he said.

When asked to comment on Mr Chiam’s decision to withdraw from the group, Mr Nazem told Yahoo! Singapore, “The alliance have to move with or without SPP and focus on the upcoming general election.”

However, the dispute within the alliance reflects its continuing struggle to achieve its goal to unite Singapore’s opposition parties. Formed in 2001 with four member-parties, the alliance was reduced to three in 2007 when the National Solidarity Party quit, saying it wanted more room to grow.

Last week, the Reform Party itself made headlines when chairman Tan Tee Seng resigned after the mass resignation of nine other members of the party earlier that week.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
jwhtan
Barney

I believe constitutionally, SPP pulling out of the SDA coalition may mean that Chiam could lose his current seat as MP. I am surprised this was not carefully considered before he sent the email to pull out of the SDA. Or maybe it has. We're not sure whether the pullout is immediate or whether there is a notice period.
jwhtan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 PM   #14
Robson
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhtan View Post
I believe constitutionally, SPP pulling out of the SDA coalition may mean that Chiam could lose his current seat as MP. I am surprised this was not carefully considered before he sent the email to pull out of the SDA. Or maybe it has. We're not sure whether the pullout is immediate or whether there is a notice period.
I understand he drafted the SDA constitution in such a way that he may pull out of SDA but can still maintain some form of membership thus preserving his elected member status.

He learnt the hard way after the fiasco in SDP.
Robson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM   #15
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robson View Post
I understand he drafted the SDA constitution in such a way that he may pull out of SDA but can still maintain some form of membership thus preserving his elected member status.

He learnt the hard way after the fiasco in SDP.
No .... the SDA constitution does not allow the CEC to expel an elected member ...... but the problem now is he pull out ..... and his seat as MP was elected under the SDA banner ..... Our constitution does not allow MPs to switch parties or in this case, be represented under a different banner when in office
Old 04-03-2011, 09:50 AM   #16
satan_gal
Dragon

Was reading over someone else shoulders again at the ST today..

Opp party fighting with pap n chiam for potong pasir

A pointless move, IMO. Those who normally vote pap high chance still gonna vote pap
Whereas the ones supporting opp party will b split between 2 parties

End of the day, lose lose for both opp parties..
satan_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM   #17
AlvinLeong
Dragon

We need opposition like this............

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
AlvinLeong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:16 AM   #18
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinLeong View Post
I hope not ........ this guy dun even want to admit that " pok kai " is a crude language ........ if we hv this kind of opposition, it'll " Yao Siu, Pua Pak " and then the person who utters these words dun need to substantiate while the legislative has to explain why " Yao Siu, Pua Pak " is crude language.

I think the other guy ( maybe a minister ? ) has done well to allow him to say what he wants to say w/o interjecting while all he has done is to try and provoke a response which ultimately, if happens, will only result in a shouting match.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #19
Guppies Onli
Dragon

At least no legal action taken against that man, but if this happen in Singapore, I wonder what happen to that man???

Is not I agreed with what the man is doing is right, but I must admit the house is very tolerate towards him especially that woman in red jacket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvinLeong View Post
Guppies Onli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 11:26 AM   #20
widjajas
Dragon

i like to read election news....it's like mini drama better than channel 8 dramas. some more it's daily news!

if there is 3-corner fight in Potong Pasir, somehow i feel PAP is going to take over Potong Pasir.

I think the PAP is laughing all the way seeing the opposition goes hay-wire (SPP out of SDA, RP mass resignation etc) before the battle is even started.

Apparently WP is the only "credible" opposition for now but they have been too quiet.
widjajas is offline   Reply With Quote