Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 20-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
dominik2233
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0 View Post
beautiful setups you have! i love the second setup best where there is wide open space for the aro to swim in...gives the tank depth as well..

question for you: how did u condition your aro to not attack the smaller fish in your tank?

looking at your tanks makes me want to buy an aro and put it into my planted tank!
i bought the fish when is only around 9 inches. He wiped out my neon tetras, otos and other smaller fishes. He will chase a bit on the angels and discus only. I only feed him food sticks and dried shrimps.
dominik2233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #12
Y0uH0

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominik2233 View Post
i bought the fish when is only around 9 inches. He wiped out my neon tetras, otos and other smaller fishes. He will chase a bit on the angels and discus only. I only feed him food sticks and dried shrimps.
hmm, so does that mean that your current scape has no small fish in it? How then do you keep the plants cleaned...as in do you have any cleaning crew around? If i were to keep an aro, i too would limit it to foodsticks and dried food but i doubt i can keep one especially when my tank is only 3 feet long and it is stocked with lots of small fishes ( aro sashimi) =(
Old 20-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #13
dominik2233
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y0uH0 View Post
hmm, so does that mean that your current scape has no small fish in it? How then do you keep the plants cleaned...as in do you have any cleaning crew around? If i were to keep an aro, i too would limit it to foodsticks and dried food but i doubt i can keep one especially when my tank is only 3 feet long and it is stocked with lots of small fishes ( aro sashimi) =(
i still have 2 black sharks (one grew too big, ard 7 or 8 inches), 2 alage eaters(dun know wic type, ard 4inches, still being chase by aro), several plecos and 2 whiptail catfish.
Old 20-10-2009, 05:28 PM   #14
LoToPaJi

Very nice and dream setup. But how do you maintain it?
You have taken care of the water by the auto change system and how do you maintain your planted tank? How much time and effort do you need to put in?
Sorry for asking lazyman questions.
I understand that you can get clearer water with planted or gravel tank. I have revert back to bare tank for my aro tank setup. The reason being I want a setup that can run by itself for at least 3 mths (exclude feeding) if I am outstation.
Old 20-10-2009, 07:59 PM   #15
exforce

helo there..
i want alot of question about the plant aquarium...
my father just buy the 5ft aquarium same as you so he want to put sand, wood, plant and some stone but i was beginner in this plant so i really need the help from sifu at here.

how can i setup the plant and wood and sand.. how to do and how to manage and where can i start 1st.. mean.. step by step from adding sand 1st until lastly fish. i using the sump tank so how can i make the sand do not enter the sump tank.

how can i maintain the water healthy because i dont want the ammonia at my plant.. what bio thing should i put at the sump tank..

like my father..he say that the sump tank can last for not wash around 2-3 month with put the BB liquid, i can make without plant, if plant i dont know the risk with plant.. so give me some tips.
Old 20-10-2009, 10:57 PM   #16
dominik2233
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoToPaJi View Post
Very nice and dream setup. But how do you maintain it?
You have taken care of the water by the auto change system and how do you maintain your planted tank? How much time and effort do you need to put in?
Sorry for asking lazyman questions.
I understand that you can get clearer water with planted or gravel tank. I have revert back to bare tank for my aro tank setup. The reason being I want a setup that can run by itself for at least 3 mths (exclude feeding) if I am outstation.
really not much.
1) weekly change wool (very dirty after 1 week)
2) can use auto feeder to feed (my aro is on aro sticks)
3) daily manual dosing of fert (feels that the plants condition can be improved)
4) occasionaly clearing of leaves stuck at overflow
Old 22-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #17
TEINsports

Very nice.....

I have been curious about arowana planted tanks. Has anyone has had bad experiences of getting bitten by a aro whilst re-scaping/cleaning???
Old 22-10-2009, 01:33 PM   #18
Paradize
Dragon

thanks for sharing. its like the best tv. esp a the growing plants. doesnt the fertilizer disturb aro? lights on 8hrs or more?
Paradize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #19
dominik2233
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEINsports View Post
Very nice.....

I have been curious about arowana planted tanks. Has anyone has had bad experiences of getting bitten by a aro whilst re-scaping/cleaning???
nope...fingers crossed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradize View Post
thanks for sharing. its like the best tv. esp a the growing plants. doesnt the fertilizer disturb aro? lights on 8hrs or more?
lights around 6 to 7 hours
Old 23-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #20
TEINsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by dominik2233 View Post
nope...fingers crossed
One of my frn actually told me that aros don't have teeth, they just swallow the food whole, chewing with their jaw power?