Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 06-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #1
beegdaddy

Default Female guppies keep dying

Hi guys

Just want to ask if anyone has encountered the same problem...

When I started my tank recently, I put in 5 guppies: 3 female and 2 male. The first 2 females died within the week and the third died one week later.

Last week, I bought another 2 females. They (4 guppies 2M, 2F) were placed together with a female betta that I got when I first got my 5 original guppies.

The females didn't last a week.

The betta hardly chased the females but yet they all died. It can't be the water since the males and the betta were unaffected.

Is it possible that the 2 males teamed up against the females until they died?

Your advice is much appreciated!
Old 06-11-2013, 07:30 PM   #2
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

What do you feed them? Tubifex worms?
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Brichardi
Dragon

Come to my house (Tampines) and I will give you some females......only have the 'normal' ($1 types) ones though, but all healthy. Not sure why only the 'females' die....could be random imo and most prolly it's still the water conditions that killed them. How big is the tank btw and what filtration?
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 AM   #4
beegdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
What do you feed them? Tubifex worms?
I use a mix of freeze-dried bloodworms and Mediaquafish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brichardi View Post
Come to my house (Tampines) and I will give you some females......only have the 'normal' ($1 types) ones though, but all healthy. Not sure why only the 'females' die....could be random imo and most prolly it's still the water conditions that killed them. How big is the tank btw and what filtration?
Thanks! Appreciate the kind gesture but Tampines a little far (the tanks in my office in the West) and I don't drive...

I just read from the Web that it could be that the males keep chasing the females until they're exhausted... not sure if that's the reason though.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
cartoon
Dragon

Hi bro,
It might b wat u said that male chase the female till stress out.
It might b that the female hv been infected before u bought them.
It might b the intro method.
It might b water parameter.
Btw, wat guppy r u having? To my knowledge, guppy n betta, water parameter is different. Although the male is weaker n seems unaffected, it does not mean only the female hv problem. I suggest u provide with more info of the setup thus bro n sis can know better.
cartoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #6
LauLanChu
Dragon

You may try a different source. Some guppy source for some reasons fish cannot last.
LauLanChu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:57 PM   #7
beegdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartoon View Post
Hi bro,
It might b wat u said that male chase the female till stress out.
It might b that the female hv been infected before u bought them.
It might b the intro method.
It might b water parameter.
Btw, wat guppy r u having? To my knowledge, guppy n betta, water parameter is different. Although the male is weaker n seems unaffected, it does not mean only the female hv problem. I suggest u provide with more info of the setup thus bro n sis can know better.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauLanChu View Post
You may try a different source. Some guppy source for some reasons fish cannot last.
Thanks for the tips The guppies I got are the "normal" type (Less than $1 each). Bought them at C328.

Mine is a 1-foot tank setup with some plants, water was aged with Pet Fran multicoat.

Photo of the tank is here - http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=517226
Old 08-11-2013, 07:32 AM   #8
vincent cs

most likely too stress maybe being chase too much but no matter wad i wont wan to place guppies wit betta together they are name fighting fish for a reason i every hav a female betta kill two of my male while breeding look peaceful when i am around the tank but when u leave the tank area u wont noe wad will happen
Old 08-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #9
beegdaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent cs View Post
most likely too stress maybe being chase too much but no matter wad i wont wan to place guppies wit betta together they are name fighting fish for a reason i every hav a female betta kill two of my male while breeding look peaceful when i am around the tank but when u leave the tank area u wont noe wad will happen
The female betta ignores the female guppies all the time (ie. never chase them at all). Only seems to chase the males.

But you're right, it might be possible that they might be chased when I wasn't looking so I think I'll just add them when I intend to try to breed them next time.

Thanks!
Old 08-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #10
Brichardi
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by beegdaddy View Post
The female betta ignores the female guppies all the time (ie. never chase them at all). Only seems to chase the males.

But you're right, it might be possible that they might be chased when I wasn't looking so I think I'll just add them when I intend to try to breed them next time.

Thanks!
Female guppies only need to be impregnated once and after few weeks, they will give birth to the fries. Meaning, u can introduce them into tank for 1 day and then remove/separate them....if they get impregnated, they will still give birth whether male is around or not...after 3 weeks+/-... if my memory serves me right.
Brichardi is offline   Reply With Quote