Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > General Freshwater Forum

Old 08-09-2012, 01:40 PM   #1
Steven87
Arofanatic

Smile Hi All, I am New here. Interested in Snakehead!

Hi All, i m new here, my name is Steven. Recently just started to read more on Channa Micropeltes aka Giant Snakehead aka Toman and getting interested in this fish.

Had visit some Farms in Neo Tiew, Pasir Ris, Shops in Serangoon North, but yet to see baby channas. Especially a first timer like me might get cheated. Went to a shop in Serangoon North, they showed me a 2 inches fish, telling me that it was a Toman fries, but after googling images, it shows differently.

Am also a Begininer with limited budget to start with. Can anyone share with me on the the following:

1) Tank and Tank Setup (for 2 SH)
2) How to prepare Tank before i buy a Fish
3) Where to buy SH fries?
4) What type of feed i should give to the fish?

Think thats my question for the moment, hopes to start fast too!
Thank you!
PS: Pardon me for my poor command of english.
Steven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 05:14 PM   #2
zhiwang

Toman can grow until very big, even in a small home aquarium.
Unless you intend to have a very large tank or pond, Toman is not really suitable for home rearing.

Its actually a good idea to keep a smaller type of channa.
Old 08-09-2012, 06:49 PM   #3
Dwight Howard

Hi bro welcome to fish keeping. Toman aka giant snakeheads can grow very large(more than a metre). They require HUGE living spaces so your tank has to be big too. Tomans are very hardy fishes, they can survive out of the water for quite some time and no problem. You can get toman fries as feeders sold in LFS. They appear red when young. Then will turn from red when baby to brown when juvenile and to blue/black/sometimes green when it reaches adulthood. Tomans are basically carnivores. Their diet consists of small fishes, market prawn, meat. Some may even be trained to take pellets. Hope my information will help you understand more.
Old 09-09-2012, 01:35 AM   #4
Steven87
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by zhiwang View Post
Toman can grow until very big, even in a small home aquarium.
Unless you intend to have a very large tank or pond, Toman is not really suitable for home rearing.

Its actually a good idea to keep a smaller type of channa.
Thanks Bro, aware of this info and will note this down! Cheers!
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 AM   #5
Steven87
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Howard View Post
Hi bro welcome to fish keeping. Toman aka giant snakeheads can grow very large(more than a metre). They require HUGE living spaces so your tank has to be big too. Tomans are very hardy fishes, they can survive out of the water for quite some time and no problem. You can get toman fries as feeders sold in LFS. They appear red when young. Then will turn from red when baby to brown when juvenile and to blue/black/sometimes green when it reaches adulthood. Tomans are basically carnivores. Their diet consists of small fishes, market prawn, meat. Some may even be trained to take pellets. Hope my information will help you understand more.
Thanks Bro, this is very informative. I had been going thru google and all the videos relating to the Toman. But had tough luck locating one. I saw one in Serangoon North PetMart, they quoted me $15/fish. I was not sure of the type they selling to me, but it don seem any like micro fries to me. Was spotted black and white, 4 inches.

Btw u got any idea where to get them? I am intending to keep it with a small Ikan Betol and suckerfish and 2 small white catfish(those used as bait for fishing).
Old 09-09-2012, 02:39 AM   #6
wilson6
Arofanatic

if not wrong petmart snakehead is put in packet by packet one. those are rainbow snakehead. aka dwarf snakehead
wilson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #7
Dwight Howard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven87 View Post
Thanks Bro, this is very informative. I had been going thru google and all the videos relating to the Toman. But had tough luck locating one. I saw one in Serangoon North PetMart, they quoted me $15/fish. I was not sure of the type they selling to me, but it don seem any like micro fries to me. Was spotted black and white, 4 inches.

Btw u got any idea where to get them? I am intending to keep it with a small Ikan Betol and suckerfish and 2 small white catfish(those used as bait for fishing).
The one in petmart is definitely not giant snakehead. Giant snakehead is available at $1 for around 6-10pcs. Do note that snakehead will grow very fast and eventually eat up your tankmates. As for where to get them, there are many shops to buy. You can try the shop behind petmart near the bird store(some dark dark store with one uncle wearing specs). Ask him for feeder toman. If don't have can try other stores. Tell them you want feeder toman so that they will not mix up and show you some other type of snakehead instead
Old 09-09-2012, 03:39 AM   #8
naser90096
Endangered Dragon

steven, y not get an indian giant snakehead aka C. Diplogramma. they are very same b ut the diplogramma dun grow as big as the micropeltis ...

i have a 10" diplogramma n 3 pcs of C. marulliodes (emperor sh) 14-17" ... varocious eaters ...
naser90096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:43 AM   #9
whitechicks7
Arofanatic

c328 or poly art.. every friday... sold as feeders .. about 1-1.5inch one packet of 10-20 pieces for $1.50
or easier , go qian hu , 3-4inches , $3 a piece.
they are intense red base with a yellow thick horizontal bar across their body.
they tend to lose that colour as they grow into blackish/blue.
whitechicks7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Steven87
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitechicks7 View Post
c328 or poly art.. every friday... sold as feeders .. about 1-1.5inch one packet of 10-20 pieces for $1.50
or easier , go qian hu , 3-4inches , $3 a piece.
they are intense red base with a yellow thick horizontal bar across their body.
they tend to lose that colour as they grow into blackish/blue.
Hi All, got the Toman Fries today for $2. Abt 18 pieces. 3 died in my tank dont know why. Fed them some pellets too. they seem quite hungry.