Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences > African cichlids

Old 29-01-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Default Cichlids afraid of blue light?

Hi all,

Decided to add strips of blue LEDs to my lighting hood to cool down the lighting colour temperature as I read it will bring out the colours of the Cichlids. Tested it and the effects was very nice with the existing white LED strips.

Then I turned off the white LEDs leaving just the blue LEDs and the fish freaked out! Some dashed to hide in between rocks and the rest just went to the bottom of the tank and stayed motionless. What's going on??? So I turned on the white LEDs again and they immediately were back to normal. Are they really afraid of the blue light??? Well... I tried again with just the blue light and true enough the same reaction, they just dashed away with fright.

The next day I tried again with just blue light and left the light on for a little while longer thinking they would need time to get use to the new lighting. Went for my dinner and when I came back, I found my blue dolphin on the floor....WTH!! Picked it up and it was still alive so I threw the fella back into the tank. Struggled for awhile but after a few minutes it started swimming again. I forgot to mention, the tank was covered. Strange how the fella managed to jump through the small gap. Sadly, the blue dolphin did not survive the night.

Anyway, I'll not be using the blue only light anymore since they don't like it.

Has anyone else had their fish freak out by the blue only light?
sherchoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 02:10 PM   #2
lyc
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
Hi all,

Decided to add strips of blue LEDs to my lighting hood to cool down the lighting colour temperature as I read it will bring out the colours of the Cichlids. Tested it and the effects was very nice with the existing white LED strips.

Then I turned off the white LEDs leaving just the blue LEDs and the fish freaked out! Some dashed to hide in between rocks and the rest just went to the bottom of the tank and stayed motionless. What's going on??? So I turned on the white LEDs again and they immediately were back to normal. Are they really afraid of the blue light??? Well... I tried again with just the blue light and true enough the same reaction, they just dashed away with fright.

The next day I tried again with just blue light and left the light on for a little while longer thinking they would need time to get use to the new lighting. Went for my dinner and when I came back, I found my blue dolphin on the floor....WTH!! Picked it up and it was still alive so I threw the fella back into the tank. Struggled for awhile but after a few minutes it started swimming again. I forgot to mention, the tank was covered. Strange how the fella managed to jump through the small gap. Sadly, the blue dolphin did not survive the night.

All my fishes esp central american cichild afraid of blue light.
lyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #3
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyc View Post
All my fishes esp central american cichild afraid of blue light.
Was looking thru the web and there are reports that other freshwater fishes were also afraid of the blue light.
Old 29-01-2016, 02:51 PM   #4
Arubino
Arofanatic

wonder why they behave like this.....
Mine ok with white led, never try blue led yet.
Arubino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
freddie
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherchoo View Post
Hi all,

Same here. My Malawis don't like blue light. White and blue mix is ok, but blue on its own they dart around the tank for a while and then stay down close to the substrate. I would imagine that they would get comfortable with it after a while though. TBH I don't like the look of only blue myself as you can't see the colors of the fish.
freddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2016, 10:15 AM   #6
CCT
Dragon

I think Malawi is not deep water fish thats why blue lights for then requires adoption. Try not to use pure blue lights. I only use blue for my frontosa as they are fishes below 15m, so blue lights will give the kind of deep water feeling for them

https://www.facebook.com/africancichlidssg/
CCT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 01:10 AM   #7
sherchoo
Arofanatic

[YOUTUBE]https://youtu.be/zjbEbajyAr8[/YOUTUBE]
Old 02-02-2016, 11:41 AM   #8
sherchoo
Arofanatic

Default Retry

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.