Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum

Old 30-08-2013, 04:04 AM   #1
Morbus

Smile Sudden Cory Poison; went into LFS, came out 900 dollars poorer - Picture Journey!

I think I've just contracted a new disease today. I call it 'sudden cory poison'. So I went into my LFS today further to my previous thread about what cory I should buy with the intention of getting just 8 pieces of corydoras. Before I knew it, I had said to the shopkeeper

"How much if I buy all the corydoras of this species off you?"

He hadn't even counted the number he had yet, but I was banking on the fact that he was going to underestimate the number in the tank and give me a ballpark figure with a huge discount. He gave me a figure after counting 23, but when I came home, I realised that there were 25 in total! Anyway, it was almost half the price of the original per fish so that's good.

Anyway, to start off, some pictures of the journey. I think I walked with the box about 5km in total!

Packing the fish into bags.

Pit stop halfway, cannot tahan!

Pit stop again, but this time for some junk food!

Home at last! As you can see, he also gave me a free bag of aquarium sand and some free plants (including java moss that I didn't really want, but take anyway because I'm kiasu).

All acclimatizing in a pail, waiting to go into the new tank. I count correct right? Got 25 there? Lol.

Pictures of the new members in their new home! (With sand added)

New best friend! Unfortunately, not for long. I'm moving the trilineaetus out.

These corys are all wildcaught, but they don't really need quarantining because they've been in that shop for 18 months already. That's another reason why I bought them out and was hoping for a big discount.

I'll be moving many of the original inhabitants out (i.e. selling them away), leaving only 2 zebras. This will be a cory tank now! Hope they all become nice and fat for me, and breed!!! I will be feeding them frozen cyclops.

Okay, hope you enjoyed my picture journey!
Old 30-08-2013, 10:03 AM   #2
johannes

Sorry bro, I am no Cory man, what cories are those?
Btw what is that place? Which lfs bro?
Like never see before
Old 30-08-2013, 12:18 PM   #3
DAniel_C
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Like never see before
Looking at the second photo, the handrails don't look local. Hence my guess is that the LFS might not be a SG based LFS. Correct me if I am wrong
DAniel_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 12:20 PM   #4
Morbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannes View Post
Like never see before
I actually also not really sure what kind of cory I'm buying, but I just know it's very cute and small xD.

Sorry I don't live in Singapore. This LFS isn't in Singapore. It's called pier aquatics. It's where I get all my fish from. (Here and eBay)
Old 30-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #5
CZQ

i remember you from uk or us right? 900 for all this cories!? the packing got standard. 18 months in the store but the size is so much smaller than the leopard?
Old 30-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #6
boxedfish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morbus View Post
I actually also not really sure what kind of cory I'm buying, but I just know it's very cute and small xD.

Sorry I don't live in Singapore. This LFS isn't in Singapore. It's called pier aquatics. It's where I get all my fish from. (Here and eBay)
so you are from UK
boxedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Dragon

Interesting share bro. Hopefully you'll show more pics when they've acclimatise
900801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2013, 04:49 PM   #8
Morbus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZQ View Post
i remember you from uk or us right? 900 for all this cories!? the packing got standard. 18 months in the store but the size is so much smaller than the leopard?
Yeah UK. You see I moved here only a few years ago form Singapore, so all my poisoning (for fish in general) happened in Singapore. When I came here, I almost wanted to give up since most of the LFS, though all very professional looking (and the staff all very friendly - standard in the west), have just rubbish in their store. Literally the most standard thing, like neon tetra and goldfish, and all overpriced. The most 'crazy' thing that they will have is black knife goldfish. And most of them imported from Singapore anyway.

Then I found this pier aquatics, and there's another one called rare aquatics. And these two together just put everything else to shame. They are constantly importing direct from brazil. The owner of pier aquatics even went to brazil to catch those rare fish himself (that's why he can tell me all the stories). So actually while Singapore and Asia are still the best for ornamental fish in general, these two shops have niche things because of how good the individuals running them are. For instance, the owner of pier aquatics once imported about a 70cm long panaque and a few catfish over a metre long. That's not for fish tank. That's for a zoo or a pond.

So if you guys ever pop by here give me a shout and I can bring you see these places. Other than that, the scene here not very good. Singapore is still much better.
Old 30-08-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
Morbus

Oh btw anyone can ID this cory? Lol. I took some guru's advice here. Originally wanted to buy 3 of every species but decided in the end to buy 25 of a single species xD
Old 31-08-2013, 06:05 AM   #10
Morbus

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Sorry about the bad video. I just had to take a video of them then. I have no proper camera. Really need a proper camera.