Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Catfish Forum

Old 19-08-2013, 09:31 PM   #1
washywashy
Dragon

Default "Panaque vertikal" project

Hi bros! Currently I'm itching to set up a small tall tank keeping only L27 variants of between 2" to 3" in size. I'm looking at this size as I'm in no rush to see big specimens around the house. Planning to set this up in the office!

Hardware would be as follows...

1) Glassterior cube 300H tank
2) EHEIM Classic 2215 (for high flowrate in a small space)
3) LED light

Scape:
1) Long driftwood (set upright)
2) SUDO Bottom sand (thin layer)

As such I need input regarding this setup. Would it be viable in the long run? And how long will it take before I can even consider changing the setup? Thanks for the help guys!
washywashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
matubula
Dragon

What are dimensions and volume of the aquarium?

I doubt a single 2215 will be enough filtration for Panaque. It will require quite a lot of maintenance to prevent clogging, or reducing the amount of detritus it collects either by other filtration or siphoning.
matubula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:14 PM   #3
TopGun
Dragon

Your main problem would be the clogging of the filter wool due to the fact that panaque chew on wood

Keeping 2"-3" ones will take years for them to hit the bigger size
Average grow rate about 1" or lesser per year
TopGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
matubula
Dragon

Is this the aquarium you intend?

[L] 34.5cm x [W] 34.5cm x [H] 57.5cm - 65 litres 14.2 gallons

The tall column shape of this aquarium will not be able to sustain as many fish as a conventional rectangular aquariums, due to the reduced surface area. In this example, roughly half the surface area of a conventional rectangular aquarium of the same dimensions.
Old 19-08-2013, 10:22 PM   #5
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matubula View Post
What are dimensions and volume of the aquarium?

I doubt a single 2215 will be enough filtration for Panaque. It will require quite a lot of maintenance to prevent clogging, or reducing the amount of detritus it collects either by other filtration or siphoning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopGun View Post
Your main problem would be the clogging of the filter wool due to the fact that panaque chew on wood

Keeping 2"-3" ones will take years for them to hit the bigger size
Average grow rate about 1" or lesser per year
Thanks for the response bros! The dimensions are 34.5x34.5x57.5cm so around 68L. Would putting a prefilter help? Also I'm looking at a max of 3-4pcs of 2-3" specimens. Would this still lead to the problems you guys mentioned as well?
Old 20-08-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
matubula
Dragon

You could get away with a small one for a while, not a group. Aside from the problems (the filter clogging, daily siphoning/maintenance/wc, rapid accumulation of nitrogenous waste) of keeping Panaque in such a small tank, the limiting factor will be the amount dissolved oxygen in the water due to small surface area.

If you do go ahead, hopefully you'll enjoy keeping the little fella and want to provide a bigger aquarium for it.
Old 20-08-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by matubula View Post
You could get away with a small one for a while, not a group. Aside from the problems (the filter clogging, daily siphoning/maintenance/wc, rapid accumulation of nitrogenous waste) of keeping Panaque in such a small tank, the limiting factor will be the amount dissolved oxygen in the water due to small surface area.

If you do go ahead, hopefully you'll enjoy keeping the little fella and want to provide a bigger aquarium for it.
How long is "a while" bro? Is it dependent on the food intake? Thanks for the guidance bro, really appreciate it

Given the high flowrate of the 2215 in the enclosed space, I intend to get an air diffuser attachment for the outlet to increase the amount of dissolved oxygen
Old 20-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #8
boxedfish
Dragon

if u keep 3-4 pieces of 2-3", before your realise it, u will need a bigger tank (maybe in a year's time).. u will be amazed by the poo these poo machines are capable of.. 2 pieces is still bearable for your tank..
boxedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2013, 01:51 PM   #9
washywashy
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxedfish View Post
if u keep 3-4 pieces of 2-3", before your realise it, u will need a bigger tank (maybe in a year's time).. u will be amazed by the poo these poo machines are capable of.. 2 pieces is still bearable for your tank..
Thanks for the input bro! Actually I'm toying with the idea of either a mini panaque comm or a mini pseuda comm but I'd rather settle for a showpiece pseuda and a small comm of L27 variants
Old 20-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #10
boxedfish
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by washywashy View Post
Thanks for the input bro! Actually I'm toying with the idea of either a mini panaque comm or a mini pseuda comm but I'd rather settle for a showpiece pseuda and a small comm of L27 variants
u mean the pseuda also inside the same tank?
boxedfish is offline   Reply With Quote