Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Planted Tanks & Aquascaping Forum > Aquascaping Showcase / Journals

Old 01-05-2011, 12:29 AM   #1
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Default My very first tank journal

As encouraged by bro JadeIceGreen, I finally got myself a small 1.5 x 1 x 1 Ocean Free tank to setup.

This is to document my journey towards the completion of this mini project, which is to scape a small tank setup for cories. Please feel free to add your views, if any. Objective criticisms very much welcomed.

Day 1:

My equipment thus far:

1 x 1.5ft x 1ft x 1ft Ocean Free tank
1 x Colourful CF-B2 250 l/hr Hang On Filter
1 x Driftwood (currently soaking)
5 x commando Platy feeder fish
Fine Volcanic Sand (from Jimbaran Beach, Bali)
Un-Ided Ceramic Rings (from my dad's aquarium box)
Ocean Free Blue Filter Sponge
Ocean Free A-Z Super Beneficial Bacteria

1. Washed and cleaned the tank and filled it with de-chlorinated water for the leak test.

2. 3 hours later, no leaks detected on the tank.

3. Took out the filter and washed everything up.

4. Removed the 2 Carbon filters that came with the Colourful HOF and inserted 4 layers of OF's Blue Filter Sponge. Decided to remove 2 layers when I found my HOF supply side overflowing. Added in 2 rows of ceramic rings which I found in my dad's aquarium box.

5. Added in 5 platy feeders from my dad's soon hock's tank to start the cycling.

6. Also added a small spoon of OF's A-Z Super Beneficial Bacteria at this point. Water clouded up (Is this normal?). Then after awhile, saw some whitish beige powder stuff still on the tank bottom. Looks like it came from the BB, is this also normal?

7. Filter set to max flowrate.

Questions:

1. Does lighting have any effect on the cycling process?
2. Should I include a cover and does it improve on the cycling process?

Tests taken just before last feed and lights out:

PH : 7.5
Nitrites : 0/0 mg/l
Nitrates : 10.0 mg/l
Ammonia : 0.25mg/l

Thanks for reading and sharing!

Wanted to post pics, but not entirely sure how to do it atm.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 01:51 AM   #2
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Default Testing the links for photos

My cloudy tank after adding the Ocean Free A-Z Super Beneficial Bacteria

Residue from the Ocean Free A-Z Super Beneficial Bacteria. Don't know why it's like that. All got pushed out by my HOF to the corners.

The Driftwood to be used, now in soak treatment

The Colourful CF-B2 HOF Filter Media

This is the Ocean Free A-Z Super Beneficial Bacteria I used. First time using it.

The temp in the tank atm. Are alcohol thermometers accurate? Sorry for the blur pic

Old 01-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #3
ciaossu

Nice setup detail, are u setting up a planted tank?
Old 01-05-2011, 05:24 AM   #4
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

your cyclingof tank got nothing inside but fish??

you should add in your gravels, wood and pants during the cycling period...
this is like waste of water and electricity... sorry about this comment...
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:07 AM   #5
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade View Post
your cyclingof tank got nothing inside but fish??

you should add in your gravels, wood and pants during the cycling period...
this is like waste of water and electricity... sorry about this comment...
Ahhh... Will do that. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Have added the driftwood and volcanic sand. Test readings on the 3rd day have shown up the following results:

PH: 4.5
Nitrites: 0.0 mg/l
Nitrates: 10.0 mg/l
Ammonia: 2.0 mg/l

Water condition remains rather cloudy as shown

Temperature of the water is 28deg C

Adding in the driftwood appears to have pulled down the PH value further than I expected. Have mixed up a small amount of Sodium Bicarbonate with the tank water and slow-dripped it into the tank. Will keep doing this over the course of this week to see if it brings up the PH sufficiently. Wondering also if I should add some coral chips as a PH buffer.

I am rather worried about the spike in the Ammonia levels. this is only the 3rd day, is this normal? Does anyone have any advice? Was thinking of carrying out a small water change, around 10-15%, but read somewhere that this would only extend the cycling duration. Am also seeing some residue on the volcanic sand substrate. Should I carry out a substrate vacuum?

Thanks all for viewing and for any helpful advice given. This is my first attempt at tank cycling and I'm hopeful to learn more.

Rgds
Jonathan
Old 02-05-2011, 03:28 PM   #7
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Ooops, forgot to add in the pics of the tank.

The cloudy tank on day 3

Temperature of the tank 28deg C

An air wand

Was keen to add this air wand in as a replacement of an aeration stone, but somehow, the air wand generates and pushes the bubbles out to the front panel, where they form a line and mars the display. Also lots of bubbles bursting at the surface causes water droplets to land on the tank glass as well as outside the tank and on the lighting surfaces. Rather unsightly. Are there any ways to overcome this or is the air wand unnecessary? Read from somewhere that an HOF generates enough aeration for a small tank that an aeration is not usually required. True?

Thanks for your time to view and any advice appreciated!

Regards
Jonathan
Old 04-05-2011, 10:43 PM   #8
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Day 5 of the cycling process:

PH: 7.0
Nitrites: 0.25 mg/l
Nitrates: 10.0 mg/l
Ammonia: 8.0 mg/l

Ammonia has spiked rapidly. Beginning to detect traces of Nitrites. I hope this is good news that the cycling process is on track. Will prob have to monitor over the next few days to see if the nitrites increase and ammonia reduces. First time doing this and not quite aure what to expect. Can't wait for this to cycling to be over so I can get my first cories. Patience!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
fireblade
Endangered Dragon

is this going to be a planted tank? your gravels looks like not thick enough for planting..
if it is a planted tank , then the air wand is not necessary.
fireblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 AM   #10
JadeIceGreen

Hey bro! Its nice to see that you have started your journal. Thanks for providing details into your set up and for the multiple pictures.

I would not add Sodium Bicarbonate to your tank. If you want to control the pH swing, I would just do more water changes. Don't be too worried about the pH swing, fauna can usually handle pH swing if they are not too sudden. In the wild, pH swings are common and they happen a few times a day because of renewal of fresh water from the source. More important is to avoid temperature swings, those are more deadly.

I would suggest adding some Java Fern and Anubias Nana. You can get those that come attached to small pieces of wood and place them around your big piece of wood.

I've never seen that filter before but it looks well constructed. Nice modification of the filter media as well. Personally, I will go for a bigger filter to have more media space. However if you keep up with regular water changes, everything will be good.

Unless its a personal preference, I would remove the air wand so that your scape looks natural. Your HOB filter will provide all the oxygen exchange your tank will need. Corydoras also have the ability to take air from the surface if needed, just like bettas.

Looking forward to more updates!

Last edited by JadeIceGreen; 05-05-2011 at 11:23 AM.