Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 12-03-2004, 12:11 PM   #11
slcw

Quote:
Originally posted by KaLiB
The difference between t4 and t5 is the diameter itself. t4s have a diameter of 4/8" whereas t5s have a diameter of 5/8".
what about the intensity of lights, Kelvins? etc
Old 12-03-2004, 12:37 PM   #12
nsyahron

slcw,
T5 are supposed to be much more intense than PL and much cooler (a very good plus point for small tanks) than other bulbs available. However T5 needs a special reflector, that is why its sooo expensive. 88 sells PLs, but only 6500K, no actinic or other color temp. Same goes with T4, only 6500K and blue tube. T4 sold without reflector, so I'm interested to see honkit's setup. What lights are you using?
Kalib,
are the photos in your gallery with T5 installed?
Old 12-03-2004, 01:04 PM   #13
slcw

using 6 PL 36 watt. but I bought actinic lights from them.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:18 PM   #14
honkit

Quote:
Originally posted by nsyahron
slcw,
T5 are supposed to be much more intense than PL and much cooler (a very good plus point for small tanks) than other bulbs available. However T5 needs a special reflector, that is why its sooo expensive. 88 sells PLs, but only 6500K, no actinic or other color temp. Same goes with T4, only 6500K and blue tube. T4 sold without reflector, so I'm interested to see honkit's setup. What lights are you using?
Kalib,
Only four of my bulbs have reflectors, the rest are fixed on the hood with the aid of plastic clips as I don't have enough space for anymore reflectors in my hood.

I bought the T4s with reflectors from deep_end.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:21 PM   #15
honkit

Quote:
slcw,
Kalib,
What sort of corals are you keeping now? I saw a tubustrea sun coral in one of your photos and it doesn't matter what light you have over your tank as they aren't photosynthetic anyway. Downside is that you have to target feed each polyp almost everyday.
Old 12-03-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
KaLiB

Quote:
Kalib,
are the photos in your gallery with T5 installed? [/B]
Nope.Mine are PLs.
KaLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2004, 03:38 PM   #17
nsyahron

Quote:
Originally posted by honkit
What sort of corals are you keeping now? I saw a tubustrea sun coral in one of your photos and it doesn't matter what light you have over your tank as they aren't photosynthetic anyway. Downside is that you have to target feed each polyp almost everyday.
The tubastrea was one of the first corals that went in, during my FOWLR days (without any lights)...currently I have:
small Goniopora
small Alveopora
several branches of blue caulastrea (candy cane)
several stalks of blue discosoma and one stalk of rhodactis (hairy mushroom)
tubastrea
open brain coral (cataphyllia I think)
three branches of euphyllia (hammer corals)

The brain coral just introduced last week, hasn't expanded yet. The hammer corals all three branches only show minimal expansion except during the first week in the tank when they expanded beautifully.

Lighting 2x36W PL which I think is enough for all the above and more for a 2ft tank. I'm thinking of using a 24W T4 as my sump lighting.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:40 PM   #18
nsyahron

Quote:
Originally posted by slcw
using 6 PL 36 watt. but I bought actinic lights from them.
I asked them about actinics sometime before christmas, and they haven't brought any in yet. Saw some actinics PL at the Puchong shop last week. I got frustrated at waiting for 88 to bring them in so I bought my lights during a trip to Spore last January.
Old 12-03-2004, 03:46 PM   #19
honkit

Quote:
The tubastrea was one of the first corals that went in, during my FOWLR days (without any lights)...currently I have:
small Goniopora
small Alveopora
several branches of blue caulastrea (candy cane)
several stalks of blue discosoma and one stalk of rhodactis (hairy mushroom)
tubastrea
open brain coral (cataphyllia I think)
three branches of euphyllia (hammer corals)

The brain coral just introduced last week, hasn't expanded yet. The hammer corals all three branches only show minimal expansion except during the first week in the tank when they expanded beautifully.

Lighting 2x36W PL which I think is enough for all the above and more for a 2ft tank. I'm thinking of using a 24W T4 as my sump lighting.
Got an actinic bulb above your tank?

Feeding your corals on a regular basis would help them expand and grow even faster as well as regular kalk dripping.
Old 12-03-2004, 07:53 PM   #20
slcw

Quote:
I asked them about actinics sometime before christmas, and they haven't brought any in yet. Saw some actinics PL at the Puchong shop last week. I got frustrated at waiting for 88 to bring them in so I bought my lights during a trip to Spore last January.
I bought in sept-03. Puchong - is it oceanic aquarium?