Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 05-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #1
cavallino
Administrator

Default $1k P13 pups already?

$1,006 to be exact

one thing about auctions is that it allows the market to find the true clearing price.

one off? or an emerging trend?

how would it affect general prices?

before someone jumps in to tell me they keep rays just because they love it and do not care about prices (don't we all?), but being a numbers person, i simply like to think about.. numbers..

so.. to those who have some comments to share, would appreciate your insights... cheers!
cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 AM   #2
xiia0beN

In my humble opinion..

It might not be a one-off, and I believe hobbyists are looking towards higher quality rays now. To me it's similar to RTGs developing into the formation of HBRTGs.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:44 AM   #3
cavallino
Administrator

yes it's like the same $50,000 car. 15 years ago, the same car only had drum brakes, 7-8 years ago, for the same price point, the car had front disc brakes. Today, at the same price point, the car comes with full disc brakes.

a $40 plakat used to be 4 ray HM.. then the same $40 bought you an 8 ray HM.. now you can buy an 8 ray OHM for less than $40..

$50 used to buy you a red melon discus.. then the same money bought you an RGD.. now the aibino red discus are approaching that same price point..

today's HBRTG is yester year's RTG.. the GH xb's of yester year are fast becoming the main stream xbs today..

the point is.. new lines emerge.. established lines find a floor price.. obsolete lines disappear..

sellers, keen to outsell the next, outdoes himself and one another to get ahead, further reinforcing that trend..

in the end, the consumers get more and more for that dollar spent, and if you consider that the dollar is ever shrinking, it gives you an idea of how quickly things progress!

just food for thought..
Old 05-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #4
Dimitri
Dragon

imo, the item/fish in question plays a part too..............................

ie. ppl may opt to bid more for a fish/item that is deemed "very nice" by the majority.................... hence, this might affect the outcome too..........................
Dimitri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 11:57 AM   #5
xiia0beN

I came across a comment by foreign hobbyists in another source, they were saying there are so many P13s being bred around the world (not talking about BDs) that they have become a league of their own, pretty much not affected by WC pricings, etc.

However, the question now is the quality; Classic 3-2-1 vs Full Spotted/Big Spot variants.

Like what Bro Dimtri said, nicer fish, people willing to pay more. And like what BBCava said, the those that aren't as highly demanded would end up having a price reduction or turn obselete...
Old 05-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
cavallino
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavallino View Post

one thing about auctions is that it allows the market to find the true clearing price.

I personally feel that auctions are a very accurate way of assessing market clearing prices (true price), as compared to listed prices that do not clear.

And of course, I'm not saying that AF prices by any means represent the market price at large.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 PM   #7
lincolngoh

Well with bid theres always a risk. Andieszzz was a min late with a 1.1k bid.

I guess we will see if more people are willing to sell their male pups at 1.1k now that they know the auction price of a PDR.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #8
gko
Dragon

i do somehow agree that auction price influence the mindset of buyer pricing the P13
gko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2009, 12:13 PM   #9
cavallino
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolngoh View Post

I guess we will see if more people are willing to sell their male pups at 1.1k now that they know the auction price of a PDR.
yes, that will invariably be the psychological reference point for buyers until supply becomes more scarce, should it ever even become more scarce..
Old 05-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #10
Shadow7
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolngoh View Post
And from what i know there are many more like Andieszzz who would like to bid but miss the deadline so i'm sure if someone were to start another auction for a leo pup the price will difinitely be much higher

Last edited by Shadow7; 05-10-2009 at 12:51 PM.
Shadow7 is offline   Reply With Quote