Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 07-07-2003, 07:34 PM   #291
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by Xerovix
what do you recommend since 4-5hrs a day isn't sufficient?
6-8 hours depending on the location of your tank where how strong the sunlight will be.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:00 AM   #292
CyberET

Quote:
Originally posted by goldfishfever
6-8 hours depending on the location of your tank where how strong the sunlight will be.
ok, shifted to another location, hopefully more sunlight, thanks
Old 08-07-2003, 09:36 AM   #293
happybuddha

I got a very chim question about green water.

One problem with green water is low dissolved oxygen at nite due to photosynthesis.

Will photosynthesis takes place at nite if I leave a strong artificial light on 24 hours a day?

Anyone knows?
Old 08-07-2003, 09:56 AM   #294
CyberET

Quote:
Originally posted by happybuddha

One problem with green water is low dissolved oxygen at nite due to photosynthesis.

Will photosynthesis takes place at nite if I leave a strong artificial light on 24 hours a day?

Anyone knows?
photosynthesis only occures when there is sunlight, or artificial light like MH lamps.. comsumption of O2 still occurs at this stage, but the production of O2 exceeds it's usage of it.. so i guess positive production of O2 at night would be possible if the artificial light is strong enough..
Old 08-07-2003, 10:10 AM   #295
goldfishfever

Quote:

Anyone knows?
I doubt so. This is because plant life/algae is not that stupid as we thought. Ever leave the lighting of my planted tank longer till 11.00 pm. By 8.00 pm to 9.00 pm started to close instead of continuing to spread out its leaves. This shows that plant life has it own internal clock too.

Last edited by goldfishfever; 08-07-2003 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:12 AM   #296
goldfishfever

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberET
photosynthesis only occures when there is sunlight, or artificial light like MH lamps.. comsumption of O2 still occurs at this stage, but the production of O2 exceeds it's usage of it.. so i guess positive production of O2 at night would be possible if the artificial light is strong enough..
Bro, in photosynthesis CO2 is consume and O2 is produce lah.
Old 08-07-2003, 10:17 AM   #297
CyberET

Quote:
I doubt so. This is because plant life/algae is not that stupid as we thought. Even leave the lighting of my planted tank longer till 11.00 pm. By 8.00 pm to 9.00 pm started to close instead of continuing to spread out its leaves. This shows that plant life has it own internal clock too.
oops, guess i was wrong.. but interesting.. plant life have their own bio clocks too.. or could it also be due to temperature drop? or was there a heater in the planted tank? now i know turning the light on at night won't help in reducing nitrate, or help green water grow
Old 08-07-2003, 10:22 AM   #298
CyberET

Quote:
Bro, in photosynthesis CO2 is consume and O2 is produce lah.
yala, i know, but plants also consume O2 at all time.. just that when photosynthesis occurs, the O2 produce is more than what it needs.. guess i could be wrong too, left sec school for almost 6-7 yrs liaoz
Old 08-07-2003, 10:33 AM   #299
happybuddha

Quote:
Originally posted by CyberET
oops, guess i was wrong.. but interesting.. plant life have their own bio clocks too.. or could it also be due to temperature drop? or was there a heater in the planted tank? now i know turning the light on at night won't help in reducing nitrate, or help green water grow
Hmm... I kept reading some bros experience with their aro tank where they ON their aquarium (pink) lights 7x24. The result is greenish water and alage on the glass. The tank clears up and algae reduced after they stop their 7x24 practice. I'm sure they have bio-filtration yet they get greenish water.

It seems to me it implies 7x24 lighting can produce greenwater. NO?

Last edited by happybuddha; 08-07-2003 at 10:37 AM.
Old 09-07-2003, 04:10 PM   #300
CyberET

Quote:
Hmm... I kept reading some bros experience with their aro tank where they ON their aquarium (pink) lights 7x24. The result is greenish water and alage on the glass. The tank clears up and algae reduced after they stop their 7x24 practice. I'm sure they have bio-filtration yet they get greenish water.

It seems to me it implies 7x24 lighting can produce greenwater. NO?
hmm... can spot light help in producing green water too? those halogen bulb type