Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 08-08-2007, 12:00 AM   #111
pykoh
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeemiau View Post
Dear pykoh,

I give frozen ones.

Early morning, I'll do the timing and observation on the feeding. It varies on daily basis, write down the remaining schedule and hand it to my maid. She'll do the rest until afternoon. If any thing abnormal happens during my absent. Stop all feeding and call me, then I'll give further instruction. Never happen before but just in case.

Well, try to negotiate with wife, kids, maid, whoever will normally at home and ask for their help if you wanna feed more bloodworm. Luckily, I've got maid... hehehe

I reckon day feeding is sufficient (Heavy feeding with small break of 1-2hours for initial digestion). Give them time to digest properly, exercise, munch on algae in the afternoon and evening. It is also something our sensei thought "us"; so, we just follow his guidance.

I suppose pallet feeding is Ok. I did that during my first year. After changing to Bloodworm diet the following years, the result is more desirable; just my point of view.

Well, some of my buddies wake up at 4am to feed... still follow the guideline, stops at noon.

Maybe you can starts feeding a bit earlier and let the autofeeder to do the rest in the later part. At least, you can increase certain amount of bloodworm.

Can't help much on the type of pallet feed that can recommend. My group import pallets from our sensei. Have not tried any other. See http://www.ranchu.net/ichiba/item/esa.html (we are using something similar to what shown in link.

Note: We do give a 1-2 hours break between each round of 45-60 minutes feeding; not continuous feeding for 6 hours....

Hope it helps....

Cheers.
Thanks for your advice. Unfortunately, no one is home during the day as me and my wife need to work. I will try to mimic your regime as close as possible.

Last but not least, welcome to GoldFish Talk in Arofanatics.
pykoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 11:49 AM   #112
yeemiau

Thank you guys for your warm welcomes. I really appreciate it.

LauLanChu,

The key is the sun. The sunlight can make many many wonderful things happen as well as horrible things, if we don't use it right. I can't really explain much in detail. But... simplified version....

Water management point of view,
After such heavy feeding in the morning, a heavy load of waste "needs" the sunlight to process (i.e. greenwater, carpet algae, microorganism, etc). So many things is happening while it is not able to detect by human eyes. Also, these process needs time to accomplish its' cycle. If we keep on feeding till evening, what is going to happen to the waste? Naturally, water quality will deteriorate in no time; may result in fatality.

Fish diet vs exercise point of view,
Full time feeding will limit the fish's exercise (i.e. swim around hunting for more food, munching on carpet algae, etc) If you observe the fish's behavior closely enough... after some heavy feeding, they'll be usually a little bit sluggish for a while, then became active again. If continuously feeding non-stop all day long, it'll only limits its' "active" period. On the other hand, I can't confirm yet, if all day feeding is good/healthy for the fish's digestion system/cycle.

Note:
- My system doesn't utilise filtration system therefore technique may varies with those who is adopting other system.
- Above explanation is solely based on my personal point of view.

Cheers.
Old 09-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #113
lor

Hi yeemiau

Welcome! Nice to meet u here!
Old 10-08-2007, 05:15 PM   #114
mybirdshit
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter porker View Post
If you really want to improve colour, the best way is to put them out in the great sunshine.

I personally don't find colour enhancing pellets useful. I used to feed Tetra Bits but they are useless in the sense that the colour will fade once you stop on the feed.

So, doing it naturally is the best way, IMHO.
That is so true. I myself only use wheatgerm and bloodworm and daphnia.

Hi Yeemiau. Nice to see you here now.
mybirdshit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:03 PM   #115
yeemiau

Guys, thanks for the warm welcome!

Back to topic.....

I can't comment much on food cos I hardly use colour enhancing pallets. But I tend to agree with PP and Shaiz.

For my understanding, the "colour tone" of the goldfish will more or less affected by its' surroundings. Darker surroundings will get richer tone and bright surroundings will lead to shallower colour tone, that's for sure.

In my opinion, both PP and Shaiz's has a point. Let it be natural and if you want a deeper colour tone, play around with the surroundings, it helps. As long as the fish's skin looks healthy, it is already a home run. Better keep things natural and "enhancing" stuff will only shorten the fish's life for a moment of glory.
Old 10-08-2007, 06:36 PM   #116
Lei
Dragon

Yeah... Maybe its like a natural defensive mechanism where all fish have in order for there to protect themselves from predators..
Lei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:43 PM   #117
yeemiau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lei View Post
Yeah... Maybe its like a natural defensive mechanism where all fish have in order for there to protect themselves from predators..
Jackpot!!!
Old 11-08-2007, 12:17 AM   #118
SonicBoon
Senior Dragon

During my LuoHan days when i put sand/stone (reddish), their colur becomes richer but I didn't try on my ranchu tank. Any bros have this experience in goldfish ?
SonicBoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 06:30 PM   #119
lohsinlong
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBoon View Post
During my LuoHan days when i put sand/stone (reddish), their colur becomes richer but I didn't try on my ranchu tank. Any bros have this experience in goldfish ?
seriously, i tink many bros here dun put stones/ sand in their gf tank. As gf tends to shit alot, many of the shit will trap into the sand. Moreover, cant use sinking food as food will trap into the stones too. But color wise, dun tink so will improve. The best is still the SUNLIGHT....
lohsinlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 11:06 PM   #120
SonicBoon
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohsinlong View Post
seriously, i tink many bros here dun put stones/ sand in their gf tank. As gf tends to shit alot, many of the shit will trap into the sand. Moreover, cant use sinking food as food will trap into the stones too. But color wise, dun tink so will improve. The best is still the SUNLIGHT....
Agree and tat's why i refrain from putting this.
SonicBoon is offline   Reply With Quote