Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Chatterbox > Singapore Politics

Closed Thread

Old 23-03-2015, 11:55 AM   #11
Guppies Onli
Dragon

U are lucky you still can find one photo with the cigarette on hand. Many of such photos have been censored out even from those archived in the online NLB and National Archives.
Old 23-03-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guppies Onli View Post
So Singapore's founding PM - founding means first? Sound better than first? Any English teacher?
Not an English teacher but a founding father of Singapore is one who is credited with establishing modern Singapore from the 3rd world to what she is today.
Old 23-03-2015, 12:43 PM   #13
Guppies Onli
Dragon

I mean founding pm not father. Credited with xxxx is one thing but giving the correct address is another, I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aris View Post
Not an English teacher but a founding father of Singapore is one who is credited with establishing modern Singapore from the 3rd world to what she is today.
Old 23-03-2015, 12:57 PM   #14
Aris
Arofanatic

Quote:
I mean founding pm not father. Credited with xxxx is one thing but giving the correct address is another, I think.
It is pretty unusual to named someone as founding PM. I don't know who coined the phrase and perhaps the writer did not want to confuse Raffles and LKY. Raffles may be the founding father of Singapore establishing the country from an island occupied by pirates, fishermen and traders, to one that became a thriving city, but LKY is the founding father of modern Singapore.

He was also the first PM and therefore that could be the link, although I don't think it is of any significance.
Old 23-03-2015, 01:24 PM   #15
theo
Arofanatic

One of my professors in university worked on a book about LKY and got to spend quite a bit of time with him back in the early 1980's. I remember some of the stories that were shared in class about LKY. Most involved his phenomenal intelligence. You were lucky to have him as a leader. RIP

Last edited by theo; 23-03-2015 at 01:26 PM.
Old 23-03-2015, 01:30 PM   #16
leong26

Listen to radio stations .. Listen until eyes can turn watery 100.3 fm . I want to.turn off radio liao .. ru listen ru sad

Old 23-03-2015, 01:41 PM   #17
Guppies Onli
Dragon

So which minister planted the first tree in Singapore?

"Mr Lee envisioned that a clean and green Singapore would carry a competitive advantage. He started the tree-planting campaign by planting a mempat tree in Farrer Circus in June 1963. "
http://www.straitstimes.com/news/sin...-the-51-year-o

"The first Tree Planting Day in Singapore was held on Sunday 7 November 1971. Dr. Goh Keng Swee launched the event by planting a rain tree in the morning at 9:30am on the summit of Mount Faber."
http://eresources.nlb.gov.sg/infoped...004-12-29.html

So Tree Planting Day did not start till 1971 since first mooted in 1963?

Last edited by Guppies Onli; 23-03-2015 at 01:43 PM.
Old 23-03-2015, 01:55 PM   #18
loveikan
Arofanatic

Quote:
RIP. Is this the longest mourning period in Singapore?
Probably It will be the first and the last as well.
Old 23-03-2015, 01:57 PM   #19
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Probably the most trees, read he planted 60 trees in Singapore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loveikan View Post
Probably It will be the first and the last as well.
Old 23-03-2015, 02:09 PM   #20
Guppies Onli
Dragon

Who started National Service in Singapore?
"After Singapore separated from Malaysia in 1965, the first call-up of 9,000 youths for the independent nation was initiated on 21 Feb 1967 – by none other than her own Prime Minister, Mr Lee Kuan Yew. The cream of Singapore’s youths would have to serve two years in the Armed Forces on leaving school.

It took Dr Goh Keng Swee, who was the Minister of Defence, and his small team at the Ministry of Interior and Defence (MID), most of 1966 to deliberate and plan the announcement of National Service. He first hinted at compulsory military training in Nov 1966, by which time a new military training facility, the Singapore Armed Forces Training Institute (SAFTI), had been completed in Jun 1966. He also announced compulsory military training for all new government/statutory board officers who joined after 1 Jan 1967."

http://www.mindef.gov.sg/imindef/abo...2_history.html

http://www.nas.gov.sg/archivesonline...-goh-keng-swee

Make me think of Raffles and William Farquhar, Farquhar did most of the work in Singapore while Raffles onli step on Singapore a few time but remember by many.
Closed Thread