Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 01-03-2004, 10:13 PM   #11
deep_end

BC,

BioHome is another sort of synthetic (compared to crushed corals) bio-media which is designed in such a way that not much water flows thru' the inner parts. This then causes oxygen levels to be much lower in the inner section, hence enabling the denitrication bacteria to grow there.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluecoolz
So what is the true purpose of having Biohome...?
Old 02-03-2004, 09:32 AM   #12
bluecoolz

Quote:
Originally posted by deep_end
BC,

BioHome is another sort of synthetic (compared to crushed corals) bio-media which is designed in such a way that not much water flows thru' the inner parts. This then causes oxygen levels to be much lower in the inner section, hence enabling the denitrication bacteria to grow there.
So after replacing the bioballs with Biohome, when I am washing the canister... Should I rinse through the Biohome... And what about the ceremic rings, should I remove them too...?
Old 02-03-2004, 10:44 PM   #13
deep_end

bro BC,

Normally if you've kept your sponge filter clean, you won't have to clean the BioHome/Biorings. In the event that you need to, use the aquarium water to do so.

Quote:
So after replacing the bioballs with Biohome, when I am washing the canister... Should I rinse through the Biohome... And what about the ceremic rings, should I remove them too...?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:00 AM   #14
bluecoolz

Quote:
Originally posted by deep_end
bro BC,

Normally if you've kept your sponge filter clean, you won't have to clean the BioHome/Biorings. In the event that you need to, use the aquarium water to do so.
Okay, I just bought the Biohome... 1kg pack... My tank is currently 2ft, and I am using a Jebao canister... Do I use all the Biohome, or I just use a certain amount...?

And I still keep the ceramic rings inside rite...? Means my canister will have sponge at the bottom, followed by ceramic rings, Biohome and sponge again... Is this okay...?
Old 03-03-2004, 10:07 PM   #15
deep_end

bluecool,

A 1 kg pack is more than enough even for a 400 litre tank, so it should do wonders in your tank, even without the bio rings. In fact I would remove the bio rings stage by stage until you're left with only BioHome. You can use even 1/4 of the BioHome, but the more bio-media you have, the more stable your tank will be. Just compromise with the amount of space you can spare in the canister.

z
Quote:
Okay, I just bought the Biohome... 1kg pack... My tank is currently 2ft, and I am using a Jebao canister... Do I use all the Biohome, or I just use a certain amount...?

And I still keep the ceramic rings inside rite...? Means my canister will have sponge at the bottom, followed by ceramic rings, Biohome and sponge again... Is this okay...?
Old 05-03-2004, 04:20 PM   #16
bluecoolz

Okay... Cool... Thanx bro...
Old 06-03-2004, 11:47 AM   #17
hanifrez

Question

So let me get this right:

In a FOWLR tank, if you have JUST BioHome (and filter pads above it) in your sump, chances are you'll have sufficient bacteria for nitrification AND denitrification
Old 06-03-2004, 10:52 PM   #18
deep_end

rez,

In theory, yes. But it all depends on how soon you place in your fish, and how many fish you put in.

Quote:
Originally posted by hanifrez
So let me get this right:

In a FOWLR tank, if you have JUST BioHome (and filter pads above it) in your sump, chances are you'll have sufficient bacteria for nitrification AND denitrification