Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 12-10-2008, 12:08 PM   #41
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terryz_ View Post
OK.. Thanks, will look into that... May I know your tank height? Other than the sps, the other corals are doing well also?
I dont have much corals, only sps bubbles, plate and sun corals. So far so good.
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 07:52 PM   #42
Terryz_

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarraCuda™ View Post
I dont have much corals, only sps bubbles, plate and sun corals. So far so good.
What is your tank height?
Old 12-10-2008, 11:27 PM   #43
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Originally Posted by terryz_ View Post
what is your tank height?
2.5 '
Old 13-10-2008, 01:30 PM   #44
Terryz_

Quote:
2.5 '
OKay.. Thanks.. Den i guess it should be no problem for my tank height... Haha...
Old 13-10-2008, 11:09 PM   #45
Terryz_

Default Connection

Quote:
2.5 '
Bro.. I have some doubt about the connection of the LED... So is the connection like this?

24dc/1000mA adapter -> 1000mA Driver -> 6 x 4 Vf LEDs?
No need resister?
Old 14-10-2008, 12:14 PM   #46
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Bro.. I have some doubt about the connection of the LED... So is the connection like this?

24dc/1000mA adapter -> 1000mA Driver -> 6 x 4 Vf LEDs?
No need resister?
There is no need for any resistor, the led driver will take care of regulating the current.

you need to read the specs of the driver, if I'm not wrong you need a min of +2V higher than the total voltage drop across all the LEDS. If the total voltage drop of the LEDs are 24V then your power supply need to be at least 26V.

Then you need to consider the loading capacity of your power supply. If 6 LEDs draw 1A at 4V. Then you need a min of 1A x 6x4V = 24Watts.

Consider the quality of the power supply you are using, its advisable to use at least double the current rating so 50watts. I personally have burned so called "100watts" power supply with only 40watts of loading.

Try to use thicker wires to prevent excessive heating of the wire from the driver to the leds and always connect your leds in series.

I normally buy a bigger power supply to drive 2 led drivers with 12 LEDs.
Old 16-10-2008, 10:49 AM   #47
Terryz_

Meaning the power supply is not the normal dc-dc transformer we use for diying dc fans? The power supply is using computer PSU?
Old 16-10-2008, 05:02 PM   #48
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Meaning the power supply is not the normal dc-dc transformer we use for diying dc fans? The power supply is using computer PSU?
Your power supply should be 230VAC to 24-30VDC.

Your computer PSU can be used provided you must trick the power supply to turn on first and rewire them to achieve the correct input voltage for the LED driver.

My suggestion is that you get a fixed voltage regulated power supply, be expect to pay $30-40 for a decent 3A unit. Or you can buy those bench power supply and use it for multiple LED drivers at once.
Old 16-10-2008, 09:13 PM   #49
Terryz_

Quote:
Your power supply should be 230VAC to 24-30VDC.

Your computer PSU can be used provided you must trick the power supply to turn on first and rewire them to achieve the correct input voltage for the LED driver.

My suggestion is that you get a fixed voltage regulated power supply, be expect to pay $30-40 for a decent 3A unit. Or you can buy those bench power supply and use it for multiple LED drivers at once.
Bro... Dun mind can advise me on where to get it? Thanks.. So to get the wattage for the PS I just Amp X Voltage?
Old 16-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #50
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

Quote:
Bro... Dun mind can advise me on where to get it? Thanks.. So to get the wattage for the PS I just Amp X Voltage?
I got mine in simlim tower. Try to get those heavier PS, cheap stuff wont last long. I burned several cheaper PS at 50% their rated load

Tags
coral, diy, led, light