Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 30-01-2017, 02:34 AM   #1
shermie
Senior Dragon

Default After hunger strike for almost 2 months...

Started eating sinking pellets as it's comeback food... went roughly 1.5-2 months of self induced hunger strike for no reason. Just sharing so ppl dont worry needlessly when their reds go on hunger strike... provided no health or water issues they'll just resume eating as n when they want.
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 05:23 AM   #2
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Hey bro.. thanks for sharing. What about stingrays that are stubbornly refusing to eat?:/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnenrui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 11:11 AM   #3
Strad
Dragon

sorry to hear that.
can i ask if you try other foods that it still refuse to consume?
Strad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strad View Post
sorry to hear that.

can i ask if you try other foods that it still refuse to consume?

Hahaha wasn't sure if you were replying to me. But since the TS's red is already eating - but again, might be hikacking his thread. I tried FBW and love ghost shrimps even. It's moving pretty actively, just ignoring the food... I think about 1-2months already, 9-10". I WC once a week and I think my water is fine. I have another ray slightly small which eats like a pig and pounce on any kind of food even pellets.

Old 30-01-2017, 12:44 PM   #5
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenrui View Post
Hahaha wasn't sure if you were replying to me. But since the TS's red is already eating - but again, might be hikacking his thread. I tried FBW and love ghost shrimps even. It's moving pretty actively, just ignoring the food... I think about 1-2months already, 9-10". I WC once a week and I think my water is fine. I have another ray slightly small which eats like a pig and pounce on any kind of food even pellets.

your ray hasnt eaten for 1-2 months? was it new and never ate or u had it for some time n it stopped eating? is the poop white / stringy? breathing any problem eg hyperventilating or breating out of one set of gills only? does it swim wierd /spasm / cough violently at times? it'll be good if u could post pics and double check your water parameters to play safe, but i'll say high chance flukes or internal parasites. praziquantel based treatment like prazi pro or prazi gold would be what u need then.
Old 30-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #6
shermie
Senior Dragon

Just to add... larger red Aros going on hunger strike quite normal... rays on the other hand should never stop eating.. a healthy ray is always greedy.
Old 30-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #7
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
your ray hasnt eaten for 1-2 months? was it new and never ate or u had it for some time n it stopped eating? is the poop white / stringy? breathing any problem eg hyperventilating or breating out of one set of gills only? does it swim wierd /spasm / cough violently at times? it'll be good if u could post pics and double check your water parameters to play safe, but i'll say high chance flukes or internal parasites. praziquantel based treatment like prazi pro or prazi gold would be what u need then.

It was new. Shipped it from overseas, but I've seen feeding videos of it before it was shipped. I had bought from this source before. It came fat and looked well fed. I don't see poop lol. Breathing looks fine to me... moderately like my other ray.. and it doesn't have weird spasm:/

Old 30-01-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnenrui View Post
It was new. Shipped it from overseas, but I've seen feeding videos of it before it was shipped. I had bought from this source before. It came fat and looked well fed. I don't see poop lol. Breathing looks fine to me... moderately like my other ray.. and it doesn't have weird spasm:/

what was it feeding on before u got it? technically most rays will eat minutes to hours after transfer even if long transport time.. unless it was very stressed or not properly acclimatized... but even then not eating for 1-2months shouldnt be the case.
Old 30-01-2017, 05:22 PM   #9
johnenrui
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
what was it feeding on before u got it? technically most rays will eat minutes to hours after transfer even if long transport time.. unless it was very stressed or not properly acclimatized... but even then not eating for 1-2months shouldnt be the case.

It was on frozen ghost shrimp.. which to be fair I didn't feed... I did try live shrimp and fbw... and MP and fish meat. Can you whatsapp me? I send you a video.. 92985143

Old 31-01-2017, 02:21 PM   #10
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

mine too. A 26" 5-year old red goes off food for more than 2 months.

Just maintain good water parameters. It just doesn't want to feed.

It was one week ago that it stated again on mp

Honest, this is not the first time my "min min" did it.
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote