Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Stingrays & other bottom dwellers Forum

Old 16-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #1
datseasy

Default Anyone has experience with keeping Soon Hock

Just bought 3 soon hock, 200g each, wonder how fast they will grow in 422FGT. Any bro has kept soon hock before?
Old 16-01-2012, 09:59 PM   #2
lwm66
Dragon

Hi there. Depends if they are fussy eater. They sure have big appetite. My not really fast in growth even it takes even dried shrimp. 200g is ard 6"?
lwm66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2012, 10:37 PM   #3
datseasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwm66 View Post
Hi there. Depends if they are fussy eater. They sure have big appetite. My not really fast in growth even it takes even dried shrimp. 200g is ard 6"?
They are slightly longer, abt 18cm. Couldn't find smaller ones from lfs, so went fish farm to buy.
Old 16-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #4
zee

Quote:
Originally Posted by datseasy View Post
Just bought 3 soon hock, 200g each, wonder how fast they will grow in 422FGT. Any bro has kept soon hock before?
Can say they grow pretty fast...with that size they're able to swallow fishes tts slightly smaller than them..so watch out what you comm them with..
Old 17-01-2012, 12:02 AM   #5
BlueStar
Arofanatic

From what I understand from fish farmer, they are slow in growth rate. Usually they are caught in wild. However, there soem farmers with passion and patience will still rear them to adulthood in 3 to 4 years. All the best in your 'soon hock' keeping and have great fun seeing them sucking in their food!
BlueStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2012, 07:31 AM   #6
datseasy

There are only guppies and swordtails in the FGT with them. I was expecting the small fishes to disappear overnight but didn't happen. Maybe the soon hock have not started feeding.
Old 17-01-2012, 07:55 AM   #7
kachangputeh

Got catch from japanese garden , many years back . put in comm tank with flower pot
and they breed with many eggs hanging from a thread. After hatch they are all over the tank.
Old 17-01-2012, 10:54 AM   #8
datseasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachangputeh View Post
Got catch from japanese garden , many years back . put in comm tank with flower pot
and they breed with many eggs hanging from a thread. After hatch they are all over the tank.
Wow bro, internet information seems to show almost impossible to breed in aquarium condition. Did you manage to grow the hatchling to bigger size? Hope you could share more info with us on breeding soon hock (marble goby).
Old 17-01-2012, 10:59 AM   #9
vincent.b

Most are ambush predators (lazy) but will snap almost anything edible if they are dropped or passes their mouths.I have a piece in my cement tank..weights bout 1.2kg
Old 17-01-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Had 1 soon hock that was a contaminant in a pack of ghost shrimps my dad bought to rear. Grew from small 2in size to almost 6 inches in less than 3 months. And all that 3 months, we were wondering why all the fishes and ghost shrimps were disappearing so rapidly, until a friend of mine ID-ed the fish for me. It was going through a pack of live feeder GS/swordtails a week.
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote