Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 19-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #11
Jon-san
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitor View Post
Wat u did might as well get a small pump and run it, the bubble doesn't help making water more oxygen.nunless u got a high power pump , got extra output not to waste.

Else I dun see more benefit.
You'd be surprised by the benefits. Just needs a creative mind to adapt it to other purposes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyyouknow View Post
Actually it works better when the depth of water is higher. As I have said, the purpose is to use air lift instead of pump. With this arrangement, I can just use a hiblow and run many of these and use less electricity than many pumps.
Bro, another thing you can consider is to do another similar setup, but this time, instead of focusing on mechanical filtration, you can consider using terrestrial plants growing in filter wool. I have a rig setup on my main tank doing this, am surprised by how well the plants grow...
Jon-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 10:47 AM   #12
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by washywashy View Post
Same concept like those SUDO Satellite isolation boxes. Don't think would be feasible for high bioloads right bro?
Yeah, not for heavy bioload. More for keeping small fishes and I'm also using either sponge filter or those corner filter as support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon-san View Post
You'd be surprised by the benefits. Just needs a creative mind to adapt it to other purposes.

Bro, another thing you can consider is to do another similar setup, but this time, instead of focusing on mechanical filtration, you can consider using terrestrial plants growing in filter wool. I have a rig setup on my main tank doing this, am surprised by how well the plants grow...
Yeah, I have thought about that as well. Since my setup is exposed to light maybe can grow some hardy plants like money plant in the box.

After some thoughts, I probably need a box with a higher height and also drill an additional hole for drainage should the box get clogged and get flooded.
onlyyouknow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Aro77
Dragon

super idea bro the flow is surprisingly pretty fast
Aro77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 06:06 PM   #14
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aro77 View Post
super idea bro the flow is surprisingly pretty fast
Wonder if I add another air line will it be even faster flow rate.
Old 19-01-2014, 06:40 PM   #15
canopy
Dragon

It will increase the flow rate but not double. To double the floor rate, change the tube to a bigger size too.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2014, 09:49 PM   #16
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by canopy View Post
It will increase the flow rate but not double. To double the floor rate, change the tube to a bigger size too.
That's a thought. Maybe I'll try when I'm free next time.
Old 19-01-2014, 11:05 PM   #17
Vitor
Dragon

I did one w gravity feed before...into a filter sock..
As my tank got a side ious.... So it can be done.....
Mine as by gravity, thus I can only hang it at side of tank which is not v low. Thus also weak.and will stop if inside sock dirt chock till same level as main tank. Suction stops.

Yes it can pick quite a amt of dirt . If u got extra air supply , tats good.....
I will actually prefer u use it as plant in container. Money plant etc....sure good if there's sunlight sort of to grow plant
Vitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 05:42 PM   #18
Koji™
Account Disabled

Attach to those standing black sponge filter and connect the outlet to this DIY. Can work very well and also it can help cultivating more bacteria in there. I have set up something like this before using the standing black sponge filter.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 07:19 PM   #19
phillife76
Senior Dragon

Such ideas deserves a upz! Good one.
phillife76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2014, 11:22 PM   #20
onlyyouknow
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Attach to those standing black sponge filter and connect the outlet to this DIY. Can work very well and also it can help cultivating more bacteria in there. I have set up something like this before using the standing black sponge filter.
Actually I thought about that but the sponge filter tube is of different size so have to get the same size. Haven't got a chance to measure the tube. That's why I drilled holes at the inlet and put a sponge over it.