Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 23-02-2012, 01:47 PM   #41
Jessiezeng
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentyl View Post
ADA soil does have high level of ammonia and should not be rush during the water cycle.

Overall i find it quite okay for the price and serve as a good substance for the plants too.

Just sharing my thoughts.
Noted n thanks bro .
Jessiezeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 12:24 PM   #42
avex30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessiezeng View Post
I have already bought the ADA new soil bro , and for a beginner I will keep some more hardy shrimp like rili ,crs .what shld I do now to bring up the PH to suit all these hardy shrimp ?
Quote:
That's wat newbie will do by kan cheong to add in shrimp . Thanks bro .
yes i was once the same rush in to do. Like bro bai say tapwater nowadays is 7.2-8 depend on area.

What i would do is if in cycling stage in order not to let the soil do too much i would just lower the ph to about 6.2-6.3 and do water change that is provided you do not have lifestock in already. One experiement i carryout why i lower it cause nowadays our tapwater have this special ability they will climb back up for the ph. Unless you are using distill or RO/DI water than it is good but Tapwater do watch.

Ph 7.5 i lower till 5.5 before just to have it climb back to 7-7.5 2 days later.... Nowadays my agewater is make of 1 part tapwater and the rest is distill but the tapwater is separately agewater for about 3 weeks before use.
Old 24-02-2012, 01:00 PM   #43
Jessiezeng
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avex30 View Post
yes i was once the same rush in to do. Like bro bai say tapwater nowadays is 7.2-8 depend on area.

What i would do is if in cycling stage in order not to let the soil do too much i would just lower the ph to about 6.2-6.3 and do water change that is provided you do not have lifestock in already. One experiement i carryout why i lower it cause nowadays our tapwater have this special ability they will climb back up for the ph. Unless you are using distill or RO/DI water than it is good but Tapwater do watch.

Ph 7.5 i lower till 5.5 before just to have it climb back to 7-7.5 2 days later.... Nowadays my agewater is make of 1 part tapwater and the rest is distill but the tapwater is separately agewater for about 3 weeks before use.
Talk abt age water I have no problem ,I have 2 big drum to store but 3 weeks ???? Can it be faster then that ? Because I need the age water for other fish oso .
Jessiezeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 02:57 PM   #44
gryphon
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrentyl View Post
ADA soil does have high level of ammonia and should not be rush during the water cycle.

Overall i find it quite okay for the price and serve as a good substance for the plants too.

Just sharing my thoughts.
If you do large water change 50-80% often and add liquid or powder bacteria, it can be cycled faster
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2012, 03:44 PM   #45
avex30

Quote:
Talk abt age water I have no problem ,I have 2 big drum to store but 3 weeks ???? Can it be faster then that ? Because I need the age water for other fish oso .
Er.. you using age for other fish also? If the ph swing doesn't affect fish much than you can use i mean keep aside some for your shrimps wc

Alternatively you can try dosing ph down or other market product until the ph stable at what you want.

Cause after i experiment when i did was i dose ph down everyday until 1 week later i take reading and notice it stable there. But i m worried that too much residue in the water from Ph down so still best is age longer for me.
Old 24-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #46
globalcookie
Dragon

Quote:
Talk abt age water I have no problem ,I have 2 big drum to store but 3 weeks
Quote:
Now I have chiller , canister ,co2 ,ADA soil still looking for a 2nd light set mayb a T5 double tubes .
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...&postcount=235

Aging water. Going back to e old days, it is overnight (for chlorine to evapourate or smthg). If you use good anti-chlorine/chloramine and the right dose, you can almost use it within short while.

On your other post in e FH thread...
- Setup, cycle, do water change after a certain timefrae (do readup what are some methods pple do)
- chiller dont need to turn on yet. Make sure it is all connected and running.
- Many review abt various soil. Don't stick to one brand if you hve no read the +/- of the brand.
- Too much lights will cause algae boom.

Setup...
- Tank, gravel (what shrimps you keep, what gravel to use)
- Filtration system (some pple use multiple stages of filter)
- Filter media (ring, biohome, etc)
- Sponge for the filter inlet
- Lights wise, for moss, a single tube for a 2ft tank is sufficient.
- Driftwood, or whatever you want for your plants to beautify the tank
- Old sea mud pour into the gravel area.. etc.

Thre are a few threads where some fellow hobbyist did a step by step setup. Go read it. You can find out what they use and do ur shopping list from there.
globalcookie is offline   Reply With Quote