Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Equipment/DIY discussion

Old 30-04-2004, 11:52 AM   #1
vinceyeo

Default Canister Filter

ok here i am with my 2ft tank and its all about ready except 1 minor thing. I ran out of space at the back of my tank to hang my hang-on filter haha...
so i am left with 2 choices.
1. i do not use a mechanical filter at all
2. i use canister filter which can be placed below the tank or beside watever.

My setup has:
1. oceanfree 3000 powerhead
2. red sea berlin protein skimmer
3. 4in1 ac fan
4. 15kg of LR
5. 10kg grade 1 sand

My question is with the above setup do you think i can skip the mechanical filter?
I feel that my LR is really quite dense already since my tank depth is only 1ft.

Ok if I cant skip the mechanical filter which one would u guys recommend? I am thinking of getting the smallest Eheim Canister which should be more than sufficient for my needs. (dun really wanna get a cheaper canister filter tho still got a tiny bit of budget for a Eheim one i think haha)
Also if anyone know where I can get the cheapest Eheim canister?
Old 30-04-2004, 01:09 PM   #2
KaLiB

IMO you should not skip mechanical filtration, it helps remove bigger pieces of debris from the tank which may or may not be taken care of by your biological filtration.
Old 30-04-2004, 03:33 PM   #3
nim75sg

The smallest Eheim Cannister for your 2ft is the 2213 that I think is about $80 brand new.

But if you wan to get a used 2217, check out this url: http://list.auctions.shopping.yahoo....ml?alocale=0sg
Old 30-04-2004, 04:03 PM   #4
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceyeo
ok here i am with my 2ft tank and its all about ready except 1 minor thing. I ran out of space at the back of my tank to hang my hang-on filter haha...
so i am left with 2 choices.
1. i do not use a mechanical filter at all
2. i use canister filter which can be placed below the tank or beside watever.

My setup has:
1. oceanfree 3000 powerhead
2. red sea berlin protein skimmer
3. 4in1 ac fan
4. 15kg of LR
5. 10kg grade 1 sand

My question is with the above setup do you think i can skip the mechanical filter?
I feel that my LR is really quite dense already since my tank depth is only 1ft.

Ok if I cant skip the mechanical filter which one would u guys recommend? I am thinking of getting the smallest Eheim Canister which should be more than sufficient for my needs. (dun really wanna get a cheaper canister filter tho still got a tiny bit of budget for a Eheim one i think haha)
Also if anyone know where I can get the cheapest Eheim canister?
Brought my few days ago at petmart $85 2years warranty and filter media. Eheim 2213 .
Old 04-05-2004, 06:43 PM   #5
bluecoolz

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Brought my few days ago at petmart $85 2years warranty and filter media. Eheim 2213 .
Hi bro...

I am currently using a canister filter, and it works pretty well... I also have a surface skimmer attached to the inlet of the filter... I would say it is good, but definitely not good enough for sump tank...
Old 04-05-2004, 07:16 PM   #6
nim75sg

Get the Eheim Surface Skimmer Model 3535 which you connect to your 2213 by using a T-connector. One inlet end to the 3535, the other inside the tank and the remaining one back to the cannister inlet.

Alternatively, just get a Fluval Skimmer (S$10) and you need to get the right size connectors for connecting the skimmer as the Eheim inlet hose is 12/16mm.

Have Fun
Old 04-05-2004, 10:39 PM   #7
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim75sg
Get the Eheim Surface Skimmer Model 3535 which you connect to your 2213 by using a T-connector. One inlet end to the 3535, the other inside the tank and the remaining one back to the cannister inlet.

Alternatively, just get a Fluval Skimmer (S$10) and you need to get the right size connectors for connecting the skimmer as the Eheim inlet hose is 12/16mm.

Have Fun
Bro for 2213 no need T-connector but other model must becos the flow is too strong for the eheim skimmer.Can take a look in my pic i using 1 for 2028 and 1 for 2213.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #8
nim75sg

Thanks for pointing it out as I thought the 2213 need one ...
Old 19-05-2004, 03:17 PM   #9
vinceyeo

ok i got the 2213 model yesturday at ML and right now its working well on my 2ft invert coral tank. just wondering should i add biohome and charcoal instead of using the filter pads that came with the canister filter?

if i need to use them how much of each ah? also wat are the pro and cons about using biohome etc? very newbie in this area hee...
Old 19-05-2004, 07:44 PM   #10
nim75sg

Use the filter pad (I think is blue) as a mechanical filter media and place it at the lowest level, and then use biohome plus (red color) as biological media and chemi-pure as chemical media.

IMO, BioHome Red is the best as it has trace elements added to promote the growth of the beneficial bacteria. Been using these for very long time and never changed them. Only cons for BioHome Red is the cost factor.