Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 21-08-2011, 02:15 PM   #1
EM3
Arofanatic

Default Goldfish Eggs

Hi all, am keeping my first pair of ranchus for the first time and when I woke up this morning discovered there were eggs in the tank. The ranchus are only about 4inches big, can I do anything to salvage the eggs?
EM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 05:57 PM   #2
UnSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by EM3 View Post
Hi all, am keeping my first pair of ranchus for the first time and when I woke up this morning discovered there were eggs in the tank. The ranchus are only about 4inches big, can I do anything to salvage the eggs?
Best way as not to damage the eggs is to remove both fish to another tank, otherwise they will start eating the eggs as soon as their chasing activity ends Trying to scrape them off will risk damage for sure. If you want to breed them you'll have a chance next time. They will lay again in about 10 days or so until all her eggs are expelled. This can take several weeks or even months.
Old 21-08-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Congrats! Hope to see some harvest.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 11:41 PM   #4
Wilgan
Dragon

Congrates! Feed them with boon when they hatch.
Wilgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 01:16 AM   #5
EM3
Arofanatic

thanks all, but once the eggs are laid they are already fertilised? so which means once eggs are seen, given the right water conditions, they will definately hatch?

and yes i see them displaying the chasing behaviour. is that a sign of a paired male and female?
EM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2011, 09:21 PM   #6
UnSun

Quote:
thanks all, but once the eggs are laid they are already fertilised? so which means once eggs are seen, given the right water conditions, they will definately hatch?

and yes i see them displaying the chasing behaviour. is that a sign of a paired male and female?
Once eggs are laid, on the next 24-30hrs you can determine whether they fertilized or not. Fertilized eggs will look transparent and clear while unfertilized ones will look pale, then turn white followed by fungus growing over them over the next 2 days or so. Whether they will hatch or not will depend on your water condition and also provided that those fungus eggs won't spread to the good eggs. They will usually start hatching within 4-6 days post spawn.The horny male has breeding stars on the rim of his pectoral fins and some white spots on his cheek. Female has a big rounded stomach and her vent (poop area) looks convex.(male has opposite).
Old 22-08-2011, 09:53 PM   #7
Aroboy II
AFC Member

Thumbs up

Thanks bro UnSun for your info/explanation.
Aroboy II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 09:10 AM   #8
huizhong

Quote:
In the future, u can put in some big leaves Plants tied to a driftwood into the tank. In this way, your pair of Gf will mostly lay the eggs on the plants and u just need to take out the driftwood with plants to harvest the eggs.

U can then place the driftwood in a smaller tank with good bubble aeration and wait for about 3 days for the eggs to hatch. After that the babies will take another about 2 days(I think) to free swim and look for food. At this time u need to feed them bbs. So start hatching your bbs once the eggs hatch because when ur bbs eggs hatch, it's just about time your Gf babies are going to free swim.
Old 25-08-2011, 06:30 PM   #9
goalkeeper

Good luck with your eggs!
Old 26-08-2011, 09:19 PM   #10
spottyfish

Do update us on your eggs ~~ help to see fry soon !