Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Goldfish & Koi Forum

Old 21-10-2004, 03:49 PM   #1
$MirF

redcross GF in trouble

hi all, my goldfish that my cuz gave me has started to grown sumthing blak on its body.. it looks like it a birth mark but everyday it get a bit bigger. currently i haf it in quarantine. my cuz said it was floating up n down for 2 years. floating up n down = swim bladder disease? im not sure cuz all he said was floating upn down. ( also i think it has internal infection, but it is being treated for rite now) can n e one help??
Old 21-10-2004, 04:05 PM   #2
peter porker

Quote:
Originally Posted by $MirF
hi all, my goldfish that my cuz gave me has started to grown sumthing blak on its body.. it looks like it a birth mark but everyday it get a bit bigger. currently i haf it in quarantine. my cuz said it was floating up n down for 2 years. floating up n down = swim bladder disease? im not sure cuz all he said was floating upn down. ( also i think it has internal infection, but it is being treated for rite now) can n e one help??
I read it in one of the threads but cannot remember which one. There was a bro who posted something in his gallery regarding this also and I remembered following his advice as one of my fish suddenly had its fins and scales turning black as well. I think it has got something to do with high ammonia levels or something. Anyways, he recommended water change which was what I did and the fish recovered and the black stuff went away. M....something Migration if I don't remember wrongly.
Old 21-10-2004, 06:06 PM   #3
nmlee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter porker
I read it in one of the threads but cannot remember which one. There was a bro who posted something in his gallery regarding this also and I remembered following his advice as one of my fish suddenly had its fins and scales turning black as well. I think it has got something to do with high ammonia levels or something. Anyways, he recommended water change which was what I did and the fish recovered and the black stuff went away. M....something Migration if I don't remember wrongly.
These black marks grows on my new goldfish I purchased recently. Luckily, I kept them in my quarantine tank.

I used 2 table spoons Epsom salt for my 1.5 x 1 ft tank for the 1st dose. The back mark on the body goes away. In the meantime, the back marks can be found on the tail and the fins nearest to the tail. However, I am happy to see that it is improving.

In addition, I do 50% WC and added 1 table spoon Epsom salt after WC.
nmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 06:13 PM   #4
Sotong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlee
These black marks grows on my new goldfish I purchased recently. Luckily, I kept them in my quarantine tank.

I used 2 table spoons Epsom salt for my 1.5 x 1 ft tank for the 1st dose. The back mark on the body goes away. In the meantime, the back marks can be found on the tail and the fins nearest to the tail. However, I am happy to see that it is improving.

In addition, I do 50% WC and added 1 table spoon Epsom salt after WC.
Why Epsom salt.
Old 21-10-2004, 06:19 PM   #5
nmlee
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King
Why Epsom salt.
I don't know why. Advise from senior hobbyist and it appears to work.
nmlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2004, 06:20 PM   #6
Sotong King

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmlee
I don't know why. Advise from senior hobbyist and it appears to work.
Do you know what is Epsom salt. Don't follow blindly lah.
Old 21-10-2004, 07:55 PM   #7
GHETTOKID

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter porker
melanophore migration...
Old 22-10-2004, 05:02 PM   #8
dragonfly_sg

Yeap, I have some image and description of Melanophore Migration in my gallery under the title "Melanophore Migration".

Do note that some semi-black fish ( panda demekin, tie bao jin demekin, etc) and black goldfishes ( black oranda, black ranchu, etc ) tends to lose or gain black as they grow or when their environment changes. But I guess you would have a good idea which is it for you.
Old 22-10-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
PinkPanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotong King
Do you know what is Epsom salt. Don't follow blindly lah.

What is epsom salt bro?
Old 22-10-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
dragonfly_sg

Quote:
Originally Posted by $MirF
my cuz said it was floating up n down for 2 years. floating up n down = swim bladder disease? im not sure cuz all he said was floating upn down. ( also i think it has internal infection, but it is being treated for rite now) can n e one help??
There is two part to a fish swimming upsidedown. The first part is it's swim bladder problem and the second part is the disease causing the swim bladder problem.

If your fish has been floating for 2 years, it probably does not have the SBD(usually internal bacterial or virus infection ). I doubt that the swim bladder problem causing disease would be active for so long and your fish would still be alive. Unfortunately, such internal disease even when the do get resolved, do usually cause some form of SB problem as an after effect. That is probably what you have.

When a fish first show signs of internal bacterial infection or SBD, you could use Interpet Anti-Internal Bacterial for the former or Interpet Anti Swimbladder Problem (13) solution for the latter. But if the cause is already cured and the after effect remains, there is nothing much you can do ( or at least I can do ). But to hope that it could out grow it in time. I have Ryukin with the same problem for about a year now, no sigh of recovery