Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 05-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #11
joelwong

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Thanks for your offer. When I mean bright, it means bright enough to take nice pics.
like that 2 X 21W confirm cannot

Old 05-10-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
^GeNoME^
Dragon

using 2x 55w for my 5x2.5x2.. not bright enough for me to take photo.. better use those 80w kind.. the more the merrier..
Old 05-10-2006, 05:40 PM   #13
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^GeNoME^ View Post
using 2x 55w for my 5x2.5x2.. not bright enough for me to take photo.. better use those 80w kind.. the more the merrier..
Wa lao. How about 2x80W?

Old 05-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #14
aropal

The beauty of systems like MH is that being spot lights they have certain benefits over tubes.

Firstly, they do not light the entire aquarium uniformly, thus giving the fish some shaded areas to retreat to if they are feeling a little nervous; relaxed fish are happy colourful fish.

Also, seeing fish swimming in and out of pools of light is also very pretty and looks like beams of sunlight penetrating the water and projecting shadows on the substrate below in a very natural manner. Of course light does scatter when it hits the bottom of the aquarium so it’s not like everything outside of the shafts of light is pitch black.

Unfortunately, as you say MH produce a lot of heat. They also only come in very high powers. There is an alternative which I have tried before called Solux.

Solux are low power halogen lights (35 -50 watts) but unlike normal halogens these have a very high CRI (colour rendering index) The company claim it is 98 which is frankly a little hard to believe. They emit almost no light in the infra red or ultra violet which adds to their effectiveness in an aquarium environment and they run cool to the touch.

I haven’t used them in a 2 foot deep water column but they are quite cheap so you could give it a try and see how it looks in your tank.

This is a link to a UK site which sells them. You'd best source them yourselves in your own country where it will no doubt be cheaper but this site provides an illustration of the operation of Solux:
http://www.triwholesale.co.uk/solux.htm

Last edited by aropal; 05-10-2006 at 06:08 PM.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:15 PM   #15
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aropal View Post
The beauty of systems like MH is that being spot lights they have certain benefits over tubes.

Firstly, they do not light the entire aquarium uniformly, thus giving the fish some shaded areas to retreat to if they are feeling a little nervous; relaxed fish are happy colourful fish.

Also, seeing fish swimming in and out of pools of light is also very pretty and looks like beams of sunlight penetrating the water and projecting shadows on the substrate below in a very natural manner. Of course light does scatter when it hits the bottom of the aquarium so it’s not like everything outside of the shafts of light is pitch black.

Unfortunately, as you say MH produce a lot of heat. They also only come in very high powers. There is an alternative which I have tried before called Solux.

Solux are low power halogen lights (35 -50 watts) but unlike normal halogens these have a very high CRI (colour rendering index) The company claim it is 98 which is frankly a little hard to believe. They emit almost no light in the infra red or ultra violet which adds to their effectiveness in an aquarium environment and they run cool to the touch.

I haven’t used them in a 2 foot deep water column but they are quite cheap so you could give it a try and see how it looks in your tank.

This is a link to a UK site which sells them. You'd best source them yourselves in your own country where it will no doubt be cheaper but this site provides an illustration of the operation of Solux:
http://www.triwholesale.co.uk/solux.htm

Thanks for the pointers but don't think Solux is available here. I like MH but I can't use it as the main lighting system because the aro is a surface swimmer. Too glaring plus the heat might force it to seek refuge somewhere. I feel T5 is a good compromise.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #16
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^GeNoME^ View Post
can.. u give me lor.. haha.. agree with aropal.. MH is damn nice.. love the ripple effect.. too bad.. sold mine away liao..
Aiya who doesn't know MH is nice. So so natural. How n what to give you? Wait until I get the lights then I need to clear the existing 2 sets of 5' 2xFL, Jebo n Ocean Free. How's ati unit?

Old 05-10-2006, 06:39 PM   #17
aropal

Quote:
Originally Posted by atom View Post
Thanks for the pointers but don't think Solux is available here.
When I first ordered solux bulbs I shipped from the US. Being MR16’s they’re quite robust and unless someone jumps on them they should be ok.

The last time I shipped something from Singapore (or at least that region) it was when I bought a copy of Awakening the Dragon. It only took a couple of weeks to arrive.

The only problem with shipping the bulbs internationally is that you will be paying UK or US prices. This would work out at 24 SG$ per bulb which would last approximately a year.

Old 05-10-2006, 06:54 PM   #18
elimmel
Senior Dragon

bro, get slave flash la, not the cam flash.

get the 4x39W solite HO T5 set from aquamarin lo... think got offer.
no need get the ATI set la... no wonder price macham like OR6500

just for info, HO tube W and length
24W 2ft
39W 3ft
54W 4ft
80W 5ft
Old 05-10-2006, 06:58 PM   #19
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by aropal View Post
When I first ordered solux bulbs I shipped from the US. Being MR16’s they’re quite robust and unless someone jumps on them they should be ok.

The last time I shipped something from Singapore (or at least that region) it was when I bought a copy of Awakening the Dragon. It only took a couple of weeks to arrive.

The only problem with shipping the bulbs internationally is that you will be paying UK or US prices. This would work out at 24 SG$ per bulb which would last approximately a year.
Thanks. Must consider How am I going to incorporate into my existing hood. Have you taken any pictures on your fishes using the solux? If so, can post some?

Old 05-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #20
atom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel View Post
bro, get slave flash la, not the cam flash.

get the 4x39W solite HO T5 set from aquamarin lo... think got offer.
no need get the ATI set la... no wonder price macham like OR6500

just for info, HO tube W and length
24W 2ft
39W 3ft
54W 4ft
80W 5ft

My mistake. That janet from aquamarin reminded me about 80W for 5'. She didn't tell me she has solite HO T5 set! Only saw ATI. 1 set 5' with 2 T5 is one OR6500. 1 set with 4 T5 equals to 2 OR6500! With that amount of money, I can cover the whole tank top with solux as recommended by Aropal and including some spare bulbs.

Slave flash???? Don't think so. Current camera no hot shoe somemore!