Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Guppy Forum

Old 02-11-2009, 10:47 AM   #1
arofreak

Default how to improve the strain for begininer

I am new to guppy keeping.
I would like to have those Full Red.
If I start with those 80cents type which bought from LFS and breed and enhance them, will I be able to achieve the Full Red. or I have to buy the better quality one to start off.

Since I am new and I don't mind to take longer time, and enjoy the progress. Furthermore, if the guppy die, also not so hard pain.
Can anyone point to the link to read more on the breeding and how to enhance the colour for guppy.
Thanks.
Old 02-11-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
AngryMan
Senior Dragon

Default Guppy

Since you are new, don't encourage you go direct to those strain as they are not cheap. Maybe you can try 80cents first to gain experience before moving to a better strain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arofreak View Post
If I start with those 80cents type which bought from LFS and breed and enhance them, will I be able to achieve the Full Red. or I have to buy the better quality one to start off.

Since I am new and I don't mind to take longer time, and enjoy the progress. Furthermore, if the guppy die, also not so hard pain.
Can anyone point to the link to read more on the breeding and how to enhance the colour for guppy.
Thanks.
AngryMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 11:39 AM   #3
lucasrock
User Under Moderation

Quote:
Hello...u mean start off with LFS 80 cts red colour fish, and try to develop them into a quality Full Red???

Probably never.....if just using those 80 cts LFS fishes.

People here tell you to keep those 80 csts fish ...is just to know the basics, how to keep fish alive, breeding, raising the young...etc.

and then....move to to buy better quality fish. Note...better quality also means more expensive.
lucasrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #4
Xmant
Dragon

I don't think it would be that difficult to start off with high grade guppies. I would like to thank Lawrence for his excellent guidance.

I started with 2 pairs of RREA Full Red guppy as a beginner on August this year. Everything went very smoothly that I had breeded about 150 fries in just 2 months time.

To my surprise, most of them didn't turn up to be nice, show piece case. I culled most of them and left with only 4 really nice pairs to start the next generation due to space constraints and my CO was not that happy to have so many laying around.

I read that many people have problem with red strain as they tended to be a little bit weaker than the others. To me, I don't fell that. Maybe that pairs that I got from Lawrence have better gene, much more energetic than those in lfs IMO.

IMO, water preparation is the most important in guppy rearing.

Last edited by Xmant; 02-11-2009 at 01:03 PM.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #5
jerry2sg
Arofanatic

Quote:

Thanks.
Hi arofreak,

nothing is impossible if you have the patience and good selective skills. However, it might take years before you will be able to achieve your goal.

No point re-inventing the wheel. I would reckon it will be more faster to achieve your goal in you starting off with culls from a full red breeder rather than from a LFS guppy. Besides full red guppy are not too exp nowadays. Seek around and you might be able to get good deals. Meantime, you can start off with LFS strains to groom your guppy-keeping skills.

Cheers
jerry2sg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:28 PM   #6
lucasrock
User Under Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry2sg View Post
Hi arofreak,

nothing is impossible if you have the patience and good selective skills. However, it might take years before you will be able to achieve your goal.

No point re-inventing the wheel. I would reckon it will be more faster to achieve your goal in you starting off with culls from a full red breeder rather than from a LFS guppy. Besides full red guppy are not too exp nowadays. Seek around and you might be able to get good deals. Meantime, you can start off with LFS strains to groom your guppy-keeping skills.

Cheers
Hahaha....people hear years already sian 1/2
Also, certain phenotype cannot be obtained even with patience and good selective skills.
I always maintain that....if you are Chinese and you want caucasian looking children....you have to out-cross.
Old 02-11-2009, 02:34 PM   #7
exotic_idiot
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasrock View Post
Hello...u mean start off with LFS 80 cts red colour fish, and try to develop them into a quality Full Red???

Probably never.....if just using those 80 cts LFS fishes.

People here tell you to keep those 80 csts fish ...is just to know the basics, how to keep fish alive, breeding, raising the young...etc.

and then....move to to buy better quality fish. Note...better quality also means more expensive.
Bro lucasrock, got 30 cents ones also..
Or even cheaper.. $2 one big bag.. You'll be surpise some of these turns out nice colourations guppy...

Bro arofreak, i think it's better for you to try out within your budget price range guppys..
exotic_idiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 02:44 PM   #8
lucasrock
User Under Moderation

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
Or even cheaper.. $2 one big bag.. You'll be surpise some of these turns out nice colourations guppy...

Bro arofreak, i think it's better for you to try out within your budget price range guppys..
Hello. I dont disagree that $2 big bag type can have nice colour.
But TS was asking if buy 80 cts type guppy can delelop into FullRed?
Red colour nia may not be FullRed hor.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:29 PM   #9
fadedloves92
Arofanatic

i also think impossible.
cuz the red guppy in 80c cat is endler red. only half the body red.

unless u have time to slowly see what is the result by breeding.
but i think it is a waste of time.
if u want try getting full red by cheaper grade.
maybe can try those so called full red in $5 bags.
they turn out to be orangy and magenta.
but if u got patient maybe will turn out full red.
if not is full magenta or orange.
u can get those $5 bags at c328
they sometimes have what they called AA+ full RREA.
but more costly but the colour is better.

you pay for the quality you get
fadedloves92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:02 PM   #10
detritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by exotic_idiot View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucasrock View Post
certain phenotype cannot be obtained even with patience and good selective skills.
I always maintain that....if you are Chinese and you want caucasian looking children....you have to out-cross.
i think bro lucasrock is right on mark on this

guys, the question is not whether you can find gems in a $2 bag of feeders... i can attest to the fact that some of them are indeed very colourful and a joy to keep.

the question is can we breed cheap red guppies into full-red, given time and TLC?

my view is that the probabilities are very, very slim.

first, is the fact that you won't know the line that the $0.80 reds came from... it may look very red, but it may not breed true. even if u ruthlessly cull all the non-red fries and select only the best, you will reach the limits very soon. it won't reach the standard of a "full-red".

and that's just talking abt the basic red colour, which may not even be achievable from an 0.80 pair of reds.

it may also be necessary to cross for body shape, claudal, tail, size, etc etc.

if the objective is a full-red, invest in a pair of full-reds, reach the fullest potential and out-cross to further improve the quality.

THAT is already challenging enough... why stress yourself out by trying to breed a full-red with feeders

Tags
breeding, enhance, guppy