Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Tank set-ups, Filtration & Water Management

Old 22-09-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
anythingwild
Arofanatic

Default bouncing PH

Hi bros, currently one of my 3ft tank is having this ph problem. Its a new tank and had been cycling for about one month plus which consists of ANS bright sand, some katapa leaves and a drift wood. Its running on overhead filter, wool and biohome plus substrate. Last week I tried to lower the ph, so before was around ph 7, after adding seachem acid buffer, it went down to ph 6. But the next day when I measure the ph, it bounced backed to ph 6. Just yesterday, I tried again but again today the ph bounced back to 7. Something is not right, please advise me.
anythingwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #2
ken_yg
Arofanatic

I would think that there is not much bioload in your tank to influence the PH at this moment.
Each soft fresh water tank design has it own characteristic that can influence its PH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken_yg View Post
The increase in PH got to do with aeration, which is different in each tank/filtration system.
It is also related to pump flow rate & any air stones setup in the tank that increase tank aeration, thus increasing O2 & reduction of CO2.
I would think you have a good filtration system that also help to maintain high O2.

Quote: http://www.myaquariumclub.com/how-to...arium-498.html

● Aeration - Increasing the oxygen concentration in your water will serve to drive down the carbon dioxide concentration. As discussed above, less carbon dioxide translates to a higher pH. Therefore, you can increase the aeration in the tank to raise the pH.
ken_yg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 12:53 PM   #3
ymmij
Senior Dragon

how did you cycle the tank and what filtration media you have currently?
ymmij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #4
canopy
Dragon

pH will gradually drop over a period of time. Remove any pH buffering media like CC or OS. 1 month old tank should let it mature gradually. Adding seachem acid buffer will draw instant result but sad to say it is not a permanent move. Read at the instruction, it is best recommended to drop 0.2 pH every day so maybe you might want to do this.
canopy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
Oneiromancer
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by anythingwild View Post
Hi bros, currently one of my 3ft tank is having this ph problem. Its a new tank and had been cycling for about one month plus which consists of ANS bright sand, some katapa leaves and a drift wood. Its running on overhead filter, wool and biohome plus substrate. Last week I tried to lower the ph, so before was around ph 7, after adding seachem acid buffer, it went down to ph 6. But the next day when I measure the ph, it bounced backed to ph 6. Just yesterday, I tried again but again today the ph bounced back to 7. Something is not right, please advise me.
I'll ask the qns that I always ask. Why do you want your pH to be lower?
Oneiromancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:37 AM   #6
takanori
Senior Dragon

I having PH7+ and so be it. Coz 6mth later will drop to below 6.5 as my cc effectiveness deteriortated.
takanori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 09:44 AM   #7
shark
Dragon

for new tank... let the tank mature.. after a few month, the PH will slowly drop.. then when it reach you PH, then add in CC to buffer it
shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #8
troutsalmonlove
Dragon

Add in new CCs and monitor your pH, CCs will help to buffer your pH. If your CCs are old already, the ability to buffer will decrease
troutsalmonlove is offline   Reply With Quote