Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Cichlid Experiences

Old 24-09-2014, 09:01 PM   #21
Kiang
Arofanatic

Increase the ph slowly but removing the peat in small batches. Let the altum get used to it. Meantime, separate the discus away from the main tank till the 2 tank ph different is less than 1. Time consuming but safer for both
Kiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2014, 10:10 PM   #22
elmizze
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiang View Post
Increase the ph slowly but removing the peat in small batches. Let the altum get used to it. Meantime, separate the discus away from the main tank till the 2 tank ph different is less than 1. Time consuming but safer for both
Yup. Doing that now. Discus in separate tank now I've got a feeling this will take a couple of weeks or even a month before I try mixing them again in main tank..

Experienced bros, can help explain whether I can expect an ammonia/nitrate spike?? Because the PH now very low no BB, but once it hits 5 and above the nitrification system will start and the spikes will come right???
elmizze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2014, 12:03 AM   #23
elmizze
Arofanatic

Update. Share2 with all, and hopefully experienced bros can advise.

Discus in Quarantine tank has started eating. That's a good sign

Since Tuesday, in the main tank removed peat. Add CCs and baking soda slowly. PH raised to 7.0 yesterday. Today 6.9. GH is about 11. But KH is about 2! Why the KH so low compared to GH ah? I thought they supposed to be about the same. And, will the low KH means got higher chance going to plunge??

Yesterday, added Waterlife Bacterlife since PH already go up where BB can start. Waiting for Ammonia spike. True enough checked Ammonia today and result showed between 4 to 8 (the API drop tester kit type)!!

The 6 altum juvs (about 1 - 1.5" body) still ok and eating. But, they now swimming more at the bottom than throughout the tank (only come up when feeding).

Is there anything that I should look out for the next couple days? Anything important I should be doing? I was thinking of changing 25% water, but maybe i should not??
elmizze is offline   Reply With Quote