Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Betta Forum

Old 22-10-2014, 09:08 AM   #21
Yotta
Arofanatic

Those bought from Y618 could not survive but I bought another pair at C328 managed to survive and begin to eat atison pellet which is much convenient for me
Yotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 09:57 AM   #22
patclay
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotta View Post
Those bought from Y618 could not survive but I bought another pair at C328 managed to survive and begin to eat atison pellet which is much convenient for me
Could it be our water not suitable to keep wild betta?
patclay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 11:58 AM   #23
Yotta
Arofanatic

Maybe or maybe not, it all depends. If those so called wild betta that sold in LFS are home grown in tank by fellow hobbyist. Those will eat any sort of food.
In my opinion based on my observation, those that are wild caught, will have a harder chance to survive. It may seem hardy environment which they lived but we are not sure what kind of food they eat in the wild. However, you may able to train a couple of them to eat betta pellet.
If you are new to wild betta, better try cheaper wild betta such as imbellis first at least you won't feel heartache if not successful.
Old 22-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #24
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by patclay View Post
Could it be our water not suitable to keep wild betta?
Just my 2 cents bro but this seems a bit far fetch to me. Wild bettas and show bettas are simillar. Even if you compare apistogramas and wild bettas, the water and requirements are simillar. Wild bettas need vegetation such as Java ferns/Java moss which is commonly found at lfs just remember to wash it before placing in the tanks. Most require low ph5-6 which you can provide with ktp leaves. With a few exception betta simplex that require high ph.

Basically what you been doing for show bettas you can replicate for wild bettas. Instead of no filter a simple sponge filter would do for mouth brooders and no filter for bubblenesters. Water change instead of doing 100% every week/day you can reduce to 10% every week or every 2 weeks. De chlorinated Aged water is a must basic requirements all fish would need.

@Yotta: to your topic regarding pellets. As with all fishes it takes time to convert them to a certain food. However I find that using saki hikari goldfish pellets works the best I didt have any wild caught ones that didt eat that. However you would need some supplements. Like boon(daphnia) incase they do not readily take pellets in the begining.

Just my 2 cents.
900801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 09:28 PM   #25
Yotta
Arofanatic

Thanks to all. My imbellis pair doing good and eating betta pellets now. Will pump them up for spawning
Old 25-10-2014, 09:37 PM   #26
Yotta
Arofanatic

Does anyone able to share their experience on breeding macrostomas?