Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 30-10-2003, 11:26 AM   #1
pisces134

Default Newbie mistakes - local style

Hey, believes each one of us got some silly mistakes when starting up, let shares and for all the future newbies and oldies to learn.

For me is starting with a 2ft tank, in less than 2 weeks upgrade to 3ft tank till now. Wasted money in buying equiptment meant only for 2ft tank and also with 2ft tank, LS and fishes very limited due to tank space.

What about you !!
Old 30-10-2003, 12:17 PM   #2
KaLiB

Adding in more LR during the cycling period. Ended up prolonging the cycling period by a few days.

Next time should just add all the LR at one go.
KaLiB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003, 12:30 PM   #3
BarraCuda™
SiaoGu Gives You Wings

overdosing addictives, those powder looked so innocent
BarraCuda™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #4
Tanggy

Upgrading to a 3ft from 2ft, should have gone straight for a 5 or 6ft.

Putting not enough live rock during cycling. Now have to add a bit at a time to avoid armonia spike!

Waste money to lighting thinking can save, but now(200+ watt of pl cost not that much cheaper than DIY MH!!) Upgrading soon to MH

Did not design properly, now want to change to plenum system, have to tear down the whole tank.

Did not give proper thought to heat bulid up due to too much lighting cramp into hood. Noew Temp is 28.5(too high use to be 27.5). Not have to Redo on DIY hood to accomodate MH lights with open top and diy fans.
Old 30-10-2003, 12:49 PM   #5
swordtail

My biggest mistakes is "Lack of Patience."
I put fishes in 2 weeks time.
swordtail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2003, 01:00 PM   #6
tdanny

I failed miserably when trying to do a 2ft set-up so later switch to a 3ft, using eheim pump with sump tank, live rocks. Its been a month now and everything seems fine. Thank God!
Old 30-10-2003, 01:28 PM   #7
ReDDeviLs

for me,i did not use the respective test kit and start adding fish,till i know i ph level isnt gd enough.. goodthing,the fishes did not die pheW~
Old 30-10-2003, 02:38 PM   #8
pisces134

Keep it coming, is very interesting to know all the mistakes, no dun get me wrong, I meant is very good to learn from other mistakes so that we can avoid it without having to go thru all the heartpain, tnks guys and gals. cheers.

another mistake of mine is keep buying coral beauty w/o knowing the fatality rate of this fish, now stop liaow.
(bought 2 in total).
Old 30-10-2003, 05:00 PM   #9
SpaTanS

Default TOO MANY LS

i started off with a 2ft tank and r still with it ... up till date, only about 2 mths ??? lfs convince me into marine ... said 2 days cycle of salt water can liao ... then buy 2 nemo, 2 damsel ... after about a week, left with only 1 brown damsel ... (never check water parameter) ...

then started to buy LR ... got mix up ... thot LR = LAVA ROCK ... kekekeke ... bought 2 pcs ... showed it to bros here and got a good laugh .... hehe (still din check water parameter)

later bought those real LR ... good experience ... found out that LR have alot of hitch hikers ... crabs, worms, and dunno what else ... bought more fish ... eventually ... had 14 pcs LS ... then left with 6 pcs ... reset all died think water not stable and too cramp ...

then, bought some corals ... FD, buttons, cauliflower, polyp ??? rearrange the rocks ... think water parameter still not stable cos din check ...

now latest, have a total of 8 fishes, 1 boxer shrimp, 2 LAVA ROCK, about 4kgs LR, FD buttons, cauliflower and polyp ... think i'll change OHF to a Ehiem pump ... more space for the fishes ...

this is roughly my experience ...
Old 30-10-2003, 07:35 PM   #10
FireEel

let 2 Clownfish get eaten by an Anemone.

Picture of Anemone is in my gallery, pls pls pls help me Identify it.......