Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > AroReefers > Articles, Resources & FAQs

Old 16-10-2004, 07:00 PM   #1
Ekia

Default Cryptocaryon irritans (ICH) - A Must Read For all Marine Aquarists

Came across this wonderful website with tonnes of info... this article is the most important for us as most if not all of us will run into ich problems... This article gives a very detailed explanations about Ich and the different methods of prevention and treatment.

http://www.marineaquariumadvice.com/library.html

Quoting a paragraph from the article:

Ultra violet sterilizers
Ultra violet sterilizers can help prevent the spread of infection between aquariums in a multi-tank system. When an ultra violet sterilizer is placed in the water flow between tanks in a multi-tank system it can eradicate theronts before they can spread into the next aquarium. However, UV lights are less effective at eliminating infection within a single aquarium. Free-swimming theronts can exit tomonts and infect fish before passing through an ultra violet sterilizer. This means that the parasite will continue its cycle life cycle within that aquarium (Gratzek, et al., 1983). Gratzek's study was performed with freshwater "ick" Ichthyophthirius multifiliis, but it is also believed to apply to Cryptocaryon irritans.

The article confirmed my suspicion that UV can never kill all 'theronts' and what we are doing is to fight a never-ending battle. What UV can do is to reduce the ich parasites to the minimum and the rest is up to the fish immune system. Thats the reason why UV has to be on 24hrs. Only 2 ways to effectively remove Ich, copper treatment and get all the fish out of the tank so that there will be no host for Ich. Sigh... irritating Ich....
Old 16-10-2004, 08:54 PM   #2
monsterz1975

That a good one bro.
Old 16-10-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Maculosus

UV is important, I have my UV at 24hrs each day for few mths already. There was once when I off it for 3 days and my Blue tang had some white spots.
Old 16-10-2004, 11:21 PM   #4
miracleman

useful article! thanks bro!
Old 16-10-2004, 11:29 PM   #5
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maculosus
UV is important, I have my UV at 24hrs each day for few mths already. There was once when I off it for 3 days and my Blue tang had some white spots.
thats because there's already ich in your tank... UV is just trying to kill the ich but at the same time, ich is multiplying in your main tank (sandbed, LR, hosting on fish etc).. so UV can never kill all the ich.. but UV can keep ich to the minimum.. thats why when u off the UV, ich keep multiplying..
Old 16-10-2004, 11:39 PM   #6
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
thats because there's already ich in your tank... UV is just trying to kill the ich but at the same time, ich is multiplying in your main tank (sandbed, LR, hosting on fish etc).. so UV can never kill all the ich.. but UV can keep ich to the minimum.. thats why when u off the UV, ich keep multiplying..
Untill now after fire up my UV , my blue tank is getting better no sigh of ich.So i think UV is a great help.
Old 16-10-2004, 11:46 PM   #7
Ekia

Quote:
Originally Posted by monsterz1975
Untill now after fire up my UV , my blue tank is getting better no sigh of ich.So i think UV is a great help.
hope u guys did not misunderstand me.. i didnt say UV is useless... otherwise i wont be using one myself haha... just that once u got ich.. its there forever... sighz.. just that u cant see them...
Old 16-10-2004, 11:49 PM   #8
monsterz1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekia
hope u guys did not misunderstand me.. i didnt say UV is useless... otherwise i wont be using one myself haha... just that once u got ich.. its there forever... sighz.. just that u cant see them...
No lah bro.
Old 17-10-2004, 01:47 AM   #9
Maculosus

lots of technical data on UV filtration,
http://www.tmc-ltd.co.uk/filtration/...filtration.asp
Old 17-10-2004, 11:21 AM   #10
ipccc

[/QUOTE]The article confirmed my suspicion that UV can never kill all 'theronts' and what we are doing is to fight a never-ending battle. What UV can do is to reduce the ich parasites to the minimum and the rest is up to the fish immune system. Thats the reason why UV has to be on 24hrs. Only 2 ways to effectively remove Ich, copper treatment and get all the fish out of the tank so that there will be no host for Ich. Sigh... irritating Ich....[/QUOTE]

Gd information.

When we go oversea training(army), tap water cannot be drunk unless tablet is added. But there is one tap which allow us to drink directly,WHY?

They use UV filteration and is safe to drink. 2UV is used, if one breaks down the other is working. 100%water is pass thru the UV. Anythings goes in will not come out alive.So drink with peace.

In our tank, nothing attracts ICH to go into the power head n the UV. It's free swimming n only suction will suck the ICH into the chamber.

By placing the UV in the sump will kill all ICH? How to get the ICH from main tank to the sump? There is a way "NO WAY"

So, UV will never kill anything that is not going into the chamber.It will help to kill all things and purified the water which improve water quality and immune system of the fish.
Above remarks is my observation (my tank) n opinion.

Cheers