Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > The Guildhouse > Aquatic Showcase & Photography > Aquatic Photography

Old 25-07-2008, 11:23 AM   #1
wongyeng

Default Taking nice pictures with average cameras

Bros,

After some experimentations, i hv found a technique to take nice pictures of my arrowana with an average digital camera.. (many of u probably oredi know )

My failures:

1. Taking pictures of the arro with flash will cause reflection from the tank and overexposure to the fish from direct flash

2. Taking pictures of the arro without flash will not get clear picture of fish because apparently, without the flash, the light from the arro coming into the camera is dispersed (not concentrated if the flash is used) so the arro image will be blur

3. Taking pictures during the daytime... If the room is very well lighted, than there will be reflection of the room (or hall) from the tank itself and the arro will not be clearly seen

Success! With these in mind, and since my tank is not in my room where i can "darken" the room, i took the pictures at night. This is what i did:

a. turn on the tank light (the brighter the light from the tank, the more beautiful the arro becomes, my tank light is not strong enough but at least the fish can be seen and image well defined

b. i used the video mode instead of camera mode, after taking the video, i edited the video with a video editor by using the snap shot feature to extract some nice frames as pics

I hv attached some samples of the photos from this technique of "Ah Go Go (Gold Gold)", my beloved Panda Gold... Hope u like it

Here is a sample video clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zu2nvuGk1R4

Last edited by wongyeng; 10-10-2009 at 03:01 PM.
Old 25-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #2
roen

bro, why don't you use white light? You can see the actual colour for RTG.
Old 25-07-2008, 11:35 AM   #3
wongyeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by roen View Post
bro, why don't you use white light? You can see the actual colour for RTG.
Bro, no white light where my tank is located, only orange light. I turned off the orange light and only had the tank light switched on. The next attempt will be to add another overhead light, will probably make the fish brighter.
Old 25-07-2008, 11:38 AM   #4
elimmel
Senior Dragon

errr... wrong section?
there's a thread in photo section teaching how to take aro pics liao...
but thanks for sharing anyway
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
wongyeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by elimmel View Post
errr... wrong section?
there's a thread in photo section teaching how to take aro pics liao...
but thanks for sharing anyway
Alamak.. Sorrie
Old 25-07-2008, 11:48 AM   #6
elimmel
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wongyeng View Post
Alamak.. Sorrie
no worries bro
elimmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Koji™
Account Disabled

Actually white light give you bright effect and make it easier to take picture.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 11:53 AM   #8
wongyeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Actually white light give you bright effect and make it easier to take picture.
Yeah bro, agreed. The area where my tank is located dun hv white light. The other issue with white light in the open area may cause reflection. So what i will attempt to do sometime this wk (hopefully), is to add another overhead light and see if the arro shines brighter
Old 25-07-2008, 11:58 AM   #9
Koji™
Account Disabled

Quote:
Yeah bro, agreed. The area where my tank is located dun hv white light. The other issue with white light in the open area may cause reflection. So what i will attempt to do sometime this wk (hopefully), is to add another overhead light and see if the arro shines brighter
Basically the tank must be bright and the outside is to be dark to avoid reflection. But if camera is too near to the front too will cause reflection that's why zoom in is the best option.
Koji™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
wongyeng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koji™ View Post
Basically the tank must be bright and the outside is to be dark to avoid reflection. But if camera is too near to the front too will cause reflection that's why zoom in is the best option.
Quote:
Yeah bro, found it out after some experimentations.. But now i need to make my tank bright enuff so that my fish can shine... The current pic is actually quite nice and artistic but not enuff shine