Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Flowerhorn Forum

Old 01-08-2014, 11:01 AM   #1
choojk

Default Sick Flowerhorn

Hello everyone,

Seeking for advice from fellow hobbyists.

This is my buddy, he turned dark 2 weeks ago and became very inactive hiding at a corner, and excreted white poo.

Bought clear, and today is the 4th injection. White poo had stopped but he's still dark and always remain at the top. Is he recovering or is he suffering from more than white poo that I'm unaware of?

This is him when he was better. Hope to nurse him back to health again.

Any tips or advises will be very much appreciated.

Thanks!
choojk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:25 AM   #2
zoids
Endangered Dragon

Just give the fish some time to rest and don't turn on the lights for these few days till he recovers. Usually treatment will take at least 1-2 weeks to see him bounce back.

You can add a little epsome salt to help him poo out more

Please don't expect the following scenario: You treat today the next day the fish recovers fully.
zoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
choojk

Thanks zoid. Yup, i'm just worried he is suffering from something other than white poo.
Old 01-08-2014, 11:39 AM   #4
zoids
Endangered Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by choojk View Post
Thanks zoid. Yup, i'm just worried he is suffering from something other than white poo.
Usually i would just administer just 1 injection and the fish would be fine after about 1-2 weeks. Just give him time.
zoids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
KAO LUO
Endangered Dragon

ha ,,internal problem ?.........did your clean your filter box or add coral chips ?
KAO LUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #6
choojk

Yes, got coral chips.

Filter box cleaned last week too.

Since the white poo had stopped, should i inject the 5th dose tomorrow as per the instructions on the bottle?

i.e: instructions was to inject daily for 5 days and start feeding on the 6th.
Old 01-08-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
KAO LUO
Endangered Dragon

let fish rest .....
KAO LUO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 04:33 PM   #8
choojk

Ok will do. Thanks bro zoid and KL for advises.
Old 21-08-2014, 04:34 PM   #9
DrRobertPrice

Default Curing White Poop in Flowerhorns

Flowerhorns are the most susceptible of all fish to Hexamita (which also causes hole in the head disease). The pictured fish is obviously ill and has secondary Coulmnaris lesions. Clear will not cure Hexamita. No general cure that says it works on parasites, bacteria, and worms. We're taking about 2 kingoms of animals 3 or 4 separate phyla. The only thing that cures all these is a poison like Clout, which half the time also kills your fish. Other general cures are nnow more watered down (most are made by subsidiarieis of Spectrum, formerly American Cyanamid a large holding company who has recently purchased several tropical fish supply companies. Don't try to cure your fish with poisons!

The correct treatment for white stringy poop, the first symptom of Hexamita infestation, is Metronidazole, or Seachem Fishzole, 250 mg/10 gallons of water for several days. You can use crushed human Metronidiazole tabs. Hexamita is a parasite and will not respond to antibacterials or wormers. (Hexamita has 3 stages like Ich and can't be cured in one application. Jing Chan, the prominent NYC Flowerhorn importer and I devised this cure some 7 years ago. It is effective when used for 4 days in about 85% of all cases, save the ones who actually have developed holes in the head. These are too far gone internally to save. Preferably do a large water change before treatment to remove Hexamita in the water, and after completing treatment to remove breakdown products.

The cottony Columnaris patches may rerspond to Clear, but I would use Furan-2 or Minocycline with 1 teaspoon of kosher salt per gallon.

Good Luck