Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > Arowana Forum > Arowana Discussion

Old 25-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #1
shermie
Senior Dragon

Default Update my 21" kingdom red

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

1 month ago this red jumped out of the tank during a feeding mishap when i was not at home, was in pretty bad shape (eye sunken in due to impact, 6 or so scales missing, multiple scratches all over... amazingly no broken finnage/tail). kept turning upside down for the 1st day, was mentally prepared for 50/50 survival. Thankfully it had a strong will to live and after almost 2 weeks of fasting it started eating again. Now most injuries recovered n eating like a boss again. Patiently waiting for the colour to go back to normal and the scales to grow back.

bear with the lousy video quality... i only have my phone and i suck at taking pics
shermie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 09:52 PM   #2
AndyDwyer

Arofanatic

Very nice red
AndyDwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:20 PM   #3
streetsmart73

Hi there !!! 123

Thumbs up

ts, that is screaming red.

Looking good & majestic.

The rays are so cute too
streetsmart73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:25 PM   #4
FanAromatic
Dragon

Very Nice Red. Glad it heal back and eat well.
FanAromatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:31 PM   #5
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

1 month ago this red jumped out of the tank during a feeding mishap when i was not at home, was in pretty bad shape (eye sunken in due to impact, 6 or so scales missing, multiple scratches all over... amazingly no broken finnage/tail). kept turning upside down for the 1st day, was mentally prepared for 50/50 survival. Thankfully it had a strong will to live and after almost 2 weeks of fasting it started eating again. Now most injuries recovered n eating like a boss again. Patiently waiting for the colour to go back to normal and the scales to grow back.

bear with the lousy video quality... i only have my phone and i suck at taking pics
Bro, nice red u have.

Can I check when it kept turning upside down for the first day, did you do anything to keep it upright? Or you just leave it turning and it recovered? I have 2 experiences of aro turning upside down, and I use 'something' to keep it upright, in the end both aro died... I am wondering if I should have left both the aro alone and not to restrict their movement, maybe they will recover instead. Would like to learn from your experience... TIA
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #6
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasLim View Post
Bro, nice red u have.

Can I check when it kept turning upside down for the first day, did you do anything to keep it upright? Or you just leave it turning and it recovered? I have 2 experiences of aro turning upside down, and I use 'something' to keep it upright, in the end both aro died... I am wondering if I should have left both the aro alone and not to restrict their movement, maybe they will recover instead. Would like to learn from your experience... TIA
i just left it. external injuries i couldnt care less (aesthetic n not life threatening unless severe like very deep cuts), and internal injuries (which i was the most worried about) we cant do nything.

nothing much we can do except make sure environment is good (good water parameters, dont on lights, no overly strong flow from powerheads etc)so we dont stress it any further.

usually immediate problems with buoyancy after jumping out is due to direct trauma (disorientation) or excessive gulping of air resulting in trapped air or swimming bladder / spine / internal organs being damaged.. worst case followed by inflammation. basically nothing much can be done to help except for the air retention issue. most ppl usually lower water level so the aro wont need to use too much energy to "swim" but i couldnt since i'm using overflow system.

may i ask if your aros turning upside down was due to jumping out or .... ? coz if not due to jumping out then it would be a totally different issue.. aka water quality or internal infection or buoyancy / swim bladder issue.. which would require specific treatment to rectify.
Old 25-09-2015, 10:59 PM   #7
shermie
Senior Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyDwyer View Post
Very nice red
Thx

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart73 View Post
ts, that is screaming red.

Looking good & majestic.

The rays are so cute too
Nearly become dying red hehe. Now can hehe... back then I stress like hell lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanAromatic View Post
Very Nice Red. Glad it heal back and eat well.
Thx. Waiting for it to start eating was very worrying. No idea whether it had sustained any internal injuries or not. So damn relieved when it finally ate.
Old 25-09-2015, 11:39 PM   #8
ThomasLim
Arofanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by shermie View Post
may i ask if your aros turning upside down was due to jumping out or .... ? coz if not due to jumping out then it would be a totally different issue.. aka water quality or internal infection or buoyancy / swim bladder issue.. which would require specific treatment to rectify.
Both aro also jump out of the fgt and left there for quite a while till I finally discovered and put them back. Maybe by 'clamping' them to keep them upright had stressed them too much and caused them to die eventually... So sad... Thanks a lot for your advise bro...
ThomasLim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:52 PM   #9
ExcelZor
Dragon

Thumbs up

Very nice alr bro..

Keep it up!
ExcelZor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2015, 11:54 PM   #10
red5
Arofanatic

Very nice red colour