Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums  

Go Back   Arofanatics Fish Talk Forums > General Aquatic Forums > Freshwater Invertebrates Forum

Old 21-05-2011, 03:55 PM   #11
wilson6
Arofanatic

2nd hand chiller cheapest also 4blue notes..lol... if get chiller liao still must get a stronger canister.. headache man haha
wilson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:36 PM   #12
Xmant
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilson6 View Post
2nd hand chiller cheapest also 4blue notes..lol... if get chiller liao still must get a stronger canister.. headache man haha
Keeping shrimp is not cheap at all for certain species. If one is to cut cost for not providing the optimium living condition for shrimps, then my advise is not to keep them at all. No point of stressing them to keep them alive for a short period of time. I believe you are aware of Singapore climate. I would describe it as terrible; cool in certain months and warm in other months. By doing well in the cooler months won't give you an edge over the warmer months. Your shrimps may perish completely.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 07:58 PM   #13
maverick1000
AFC Member

Agree. It is a expensive hobby.
I still recall when I have first start with just a 1ft with fan, the end result is that I am purchase more shrimps to replace those deads.
maverick1000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #14
jamiex09

From my exp, 1ft with fan is ok for cherry shrimp species I guess, like snowball, rili and those wild neocaridina.

But more expensive species like CRS, must really be prepared to invest in chillers and good filters, so they don't die off easily.

Correct me if I gave any wrong information.
Old 22-05-2011, 12:54 PM   #15
Xmant
Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick1000 View Post
Agree. It is a expensive hobby.
I still recall when I have first start with just a 1ft with fan, the end result is that I am purchase more shrimps to replace those deads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiex09 View Post
From my exp, 1ft with fan is ok for cherry shrimp species I guess, like snowball, rili and those wild neocaridina.

But more expensive species like CRS, must really be prepared to invest in chillers and good filters, so they don't die off easily.

Correct me if I gave any wrong information.
Very agree.

After being deeply poison by shrimps, our keeping cost rised exponentially where one can't imagine. From a simple small tank, we may end up with numerous bigger tanks.

I would say keeping shrimp is an art. I do encounter numerous problems along the way. Their surviving rate is just like stock market; up and down. Some may completely perish. Need time to overcome the challenges that one might face. Nevertheless, one needs a lot of determination, countless committed hours were spent to take good care of them. You know and I know, our CO may not happy at all of whatever we are doing here.

So I would advise newbies to think carefully before heading for shrimp keeping due to impulse. I believe most of us have these simple thinking; keeping cherry or FR will be enough. But thing may not end up in this way, we branch into dark side; keeping even more expensive shrimps.

For those that had stayed long enough in this hobby, you will know what I am trying to say here.

Nevertheless....Welcome to shrimp keeping.
Xmant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 04:46 PM   #16
jamiex09

Ya, when I first started, I stupidly bought 6 CRS, no chiller, and all died within a week.

If I strike *D, I will upgrade to a big tank and good chiller and filter and keep either nice CRS or Sulawesi...
Sorry, getting out of point.