View Single Post
Old 14-09-2018, 09:04 PM   #275
NI KI
Arofanatic

Jurgen Klopp fires back at Gary Neville's recent Liverpool comments - inviting him to 'come over' to explain

Jurgen Klopp has issued a damning retort to Gary Neville's comments on Liverpool's upcoming Champions League campaign, inviting the former Manchester United man to 'come over' to explain his theory.

The former England international told the Times earlier this week the Reds should seek to kick the Champions League 'into touch' this season to increase their chances of title glory.

Neville said: "The Champions League - if I was Liverpool , I would kick it into touch.

"I know that’s very hard to do but if they could go into February, March, April without it, I think they could have a real chance if they had free weeks.

"Why? I think their method is exhausting for the front three. The drop in quality below them, if there are injuries or playing Wednesday, Saturday, I think it will take its toll."

But Klopp was having little of the suggestion, insisting his club will fight on every front possible this season.

"How should that work? We don't play Champions League, or what?" he said. "Gary should come over and tell me exactly how that works.

"How do you prepare for a game when you don't focus on it? Bring your kids into the Champions League, that would be funny.

"I don't know what he means, to be honest. We have to play football. A lot of people play our games when we play Champions League football and that's our job, that we do the best we can do in all those games.

"That's what we try. We will see."

Liverpool finished runners-up in last season's Champions League final, but managed to win just two of their final seven league games.

Despite that, they finished in the top four to confirm consecutive qualifications in the European Cup.

And though Klopp was reluctant to be too critical, he did fire back at the Sky Sports man.
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote