View Single Post
Old 23-12-2005, 04:27 PM   #18
tetraS

By The One.

I don't think I made a conscious decision as a career choice. From my school days I had decided, persuaded by my parents, to prepare myself for the law. Then the Japanese occupation came and we went through three and a half years of what I would call the university of life, it was hard, it was harsh.
Lee Kuan Yew

I knew that my niece was working nearby with some bank, so my wife rang up the mother and the mother called back to say that shes just called up to say she was alright.
Lee Kuan Yew

I learnt how people survived and how people had to submit because you need to eat and your family need to live, so I learned the meaning of power. In a sense that power comes out in the barrel of a gun and when the Japanese gun was not as big as the American gun they surrendered and the British came back.
Lee Kuan Yew

I was a product of the times, the war, the occupation, the reoccupation, my 4 years in Britain, admiring but at the same time questioning whether they are able to do a better job than we can.
Lee Kuan Yew

I was at South Africa at the time in Johannesburg. We knew he was going in for a medical check for his Colon. They found polyps but they said it was benign but they wanted to do a biopsy.
Lee Kuan Yew

In a way the U.S strikes in the World Trade center put the balloon out because Al Qaeda became news, and so a Singaporean told our security intelligence that a Pakistani Singaporean is connected with Al Qaeda.
Lee Kuan Yew

Of-course we did, but we didnt reply because we knew once this leaks the others will scatter, so in the few days we moved quickly before the press got hold of it. The press did get hold of it a few days later, we nabbed, we were able to get 15, the others got away.
Lee Kuan Yew

The big nest was in Afghanistan, thats not quite cleared, then there are nests in the Philippines, there are nests in Indonesia, the Malaysians are clearing up their nests.
Lee Kuan Yew

Well if done a lot of hard work to try and get people to act rationally, the fact that weve had 15 deviant Muslims, plus 5 or 8 others that got away does not mean that all Muslims are deviant or extremists.
Lee Kuan Yew

Well, first you must be temperamentally suited, and there must be constant adjustment and give and take. I mean no marriages are made in heaven.
Lee Kuan Yew

Well, I think if I had married a different woman I would of had a very different life. She was my partner both emotionally and intellectually. At work and at play and she brought up the 3 children that we have, brought them up to be well behaved, modest and not over-bearing children.
Lee Kuan Yew

Yes, we knew that sooner or later, with the build up in the Philippines, in Indonesia and after the KKM arrests in Malaysia that they were bound to penetrate us.
Lee Kuan Yew