Thread: The Rep System
View Single Post
Old 02-03-2005, 01:34 PM   #19
jwhtan
Barney

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbei
I think the reason that one feels uncomfortable when you get a minus point is because this system is called 'reputation'. So when you get hit you feel like you've taken a hit on your reputation. However if this system is called 'x-factor' or something else then it becomes just numbers.
In fact, calling this system 'reputation' is not exactly fitting, unless it is actually reputation. For example, a person could get zapped because someone does not agree with his/her opinion. But does that mean this person who got zapped has a low repute? A minus point on a reputation should only happen when the person cheats, lies, blackmail or whatever. A minus point on a person's opinion should not reflect on his reputation, but just his opinion. But just because the system is not able to differentiate the two senarios, why should they both be lumped together into an all-encompassing 'reputation'?
this is actually a vBulletin system and reputation refers to forum reputation, nothing to do with a person's real life reputation at all.

Quote:
The bad thing is that no one dares to post any controversial things anymore. In real life one could cautiously voice 'disagreement', and react according to the situation. One could even suggest something totally away from the norm and then try to convince people. However online, there are no clues, no body language and even no sound. You don't know who might come along and violently object to your post. And when that happens you have no chance to even 'rectify' or even agree to disagree.

ie maybe Person A asks "Is bio-habitat" a good way of reducing nitrates.

Possibily many people knows that it doesn't but no one dares to voice out. Because whether you are right or not, there will be people who think other wise. You might get a minus with a comment "I use bio-habitat and it works so I zap you." And then you'll go O.o"? And this example could be verified. What about those that are mainly a matter of opinion? ie Person B asks "Is a weekly water change enough"? I expect nobody will dare to say "yes" even if that is what they practice, because there is always people who do it twice weekly or even more. Nobody wants to risk getting "You are lazy so I zap you".

The end result would be that everybody agrees with everybody. Without 'challenges' and opposition, breakthroughs in learning or discovery of new knowledge or even new methods of doing things - all these could be shifted to a lower gear.
I refer this thread to you. To me, this clearly shows the debate is alive and kicking. It is not just about disagreement, but how u put forth ur disagreement. This thread shows although there are old established thoughts that are widely accepted, u can still disagree and challenge. Of cos, u hv to challenge with a clear view and perspective. To me, it encourages responsible debate.
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=170807

With regards to ur water changing example, I refer you to this thread, I think that speaks for itself
http://www.arofanatics.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=170891

Quote:

lastly,(I'm not sure how to explain the following but I'll try ) the reputation points appears to be indicative of general consensus. However, it is not! The reputation will only reflect accurately on ones reputation if everyone gets to vote. For example, if you see a person who is having a below average reputation point, do you immediately get the impression that this person has more people 'against' him than 'for' him, in respect to the total user base? If so, then rethink it again. The reputation points of any particular person is not the result of a computation of points contributed by every user. It merely shows how many people had made a zap on him/her. While this may look like the same thing, it is not. Lets take this example of a person with -50 posts. It shows that he/she has 'offended' 50 persons (or occasions). However, does it mean than nobody likes him/her? The total membership on this forums is 13,330 at this moment. If a person is liked by 13280 persons then it is a whopping 99.6% which makes him/her a very reputable or popular or well liked person. However, all it takes is 50 persons to hate him/her enough to zap him, then that's it. He/she becomes the most hated person with a lowest rep points of -50. As someone's signature once said someone said, "All it takes for evil to triump is for good people to do nothing". This logic can be loosely applied to this case. And especailly when one have a limited vote of 2 per day, most people wouldn't want to use it unless they really have to. However, I'm not saying that people who are of below average rep points are good people. They could be bad. In fact they could be either.

I'm just sharing my opinion because I find this reputation system very interesting. It appears to work, and it works in ways that are not directly obvious. Hope we can have a discussion about its effects (on human behavior) in a logical and rational manner now that time has passed a little for us to see the repercussions of this new implementation. Also hopefully I have not confused anybody because I'm also a little confused myself
the number of 13000 , is yes, the number of registered members but in reality, the number of members actively engaged surfing AF is about 400 daily. I think practically, we shd look more at active members.

practically it is very difficult for a person to achieve -50, unless he's really disliked by the majority and he has no frens at all. He needs 60 people to zap him and no one to add him. Not tat it is impossible, but its highly unlikely.

U mentioned most people wouldn't want to use it unless they have to, since the vote is limited to 1 daily. If this is the case when it comes to adding, its also the case when it comes to zapping. And its intentionally configured such so tat any giving of reputations is done selectively. If it is required, I can even tweaked it to 1 vote daily or give reputation power to people with a longer registration date and minimum posts to reduce of the number of eligible members giving out rep points.