View Single Post
Old 15-09-2018, 08:20 PM   #279
NI KI
Arofanatic

Jurgen Klopp responds to Gareth Southgate frustration over Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke

Jurgen Klopp insists that Liverpool striker Dominic Solanke is in the right place to continue his development.

England boss Gareth Southgate has voiced his frustration over the 21-year-old's lack of game time for the Reds.

Solanke, who made his senior international debut against Brazil last November, has yet to feature in a matchday squad for Liverpool so far this season with Roberto Firmino and Daniel Sturridge ahead of him in the pecking order.

However, Klopp says Solanke's time will come with Saturday's trip to Tottenham kicking off a gruelling run of seven games in the space of 22 days.

"It's not a perfect situation, that is clear," Klopp said.

"He is a young striker and young strikers generally need longer in a big club. If you're a young striker at another club and you don't perform and you don't score then it can be career-threatening because no-one in this world is patient enough.

"But it is all fine for Dom. He didn't play as often as he wished, I can imagine that, but he is still developing and still improving. He had good games last season, not enough minutes that is true, but he is still young and will have enough minutes in his career.

"When we cannot use him as a striker, we still work with him to try and fulfil his potential. I think we are really on a good way with that. We don't have a problem with young English players not being involved often enough."

Trent Alexander-Arnold and Joe Gomez are currently regulars for Liverpool and Klopp doesn't see any reason why fellow England youngster Solanke, who made 27 appearances for the Reds last season, needs to consider his future.

"There is no pressure," Klopp added. "I don't like to talk about what other people said, but Dom Solanke is a fantastic young player.

"Our situation here is that we have four players in Bobby, Daniel, Divock (Origi) and Dom. We have this squad and we need it.

"If Dom works hard – and that is all what he needs to do to secure the rest of his career – then everything will be fine because of his talent and his skills.

"I don't know exactly where Harry Kane was at the same stage of his career but it was all over the country playing and not playing. I remember a picture of Harry Kane and Jamie Vardy sitting on the bench for Leicester. They obviously didn't start that day but they made their way.

"It is really difficult for strikers to get the one spot or one of the two. We are still 100% sure everything will be fine for Dom."
NI KI is offline   Reply With Quote