View Single Post
Old 11-03-2006, 01:42 AM   #4
yongsum

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontosa
Very useful info indeed bro! Upz you! (Heh, just learnt how to upz not long ago)

Hope we get more contributions to this thread.

Myself haven't had much experience with pike but fully agree on the "conspecific, territorial, tough as nails, voracious predators" part. Tried to pair up my male saxatilis twice and failed. First time killed the female and almost killed the 2nd one. Would love to see them spawn. Incidentally, aggressive as they may be, did not bother the tankmates too much (polleni and brasilensis eartheaters). Love watching them pounce on the feeder shrimps out of nowhere...a true predator!
interesting. i didn't comment on pairing at first since i also have no firsthand experience, but i have read many times that getting pikes to really "pair up" is an accomplishment in itself and would probably require a 240g tank. not to mention having them spawn successfully, which is especially difficult with some groups like the lugubris group. at this point you can also say bye bye to any tankmates. you will even need aduquate hiding places for the female who should be much smaller than the male and at risk to aggression.