View Single Post
Old 27-08-2004, 08:44 AM   #3
slcw

Category 8
Special requirements 2
Achilles Tang requires very turbulent water and grazes heavily on algae. Naso tang, must have brown algae for long term survival. Frogfishes all feed by enticing prey into the range of their cavernous mouth. Mandarinfish should have an established aquarium with natural reproducing of copecods. Similar Hover goby, Golden headed sleeper goby and signal goby. These require sufficent live substrates to extract small invertebrates to fill their bellies.

Seahorse as mention above category and jawfish, why they need deep substrate to excavate burrows. The POINT is providing a natural habitant (that is filled with other thriving micro organisms) for these species to live a long life.

Category 9
Species that are hardy and care requirements is understood by hobbyist and provided for, but have poor handling and collecting methods.
This final category unfortunately holds many of our favourite choices and sometime we fuel the market to further collect this fish. The collection method are the use of cyanide, poor transportation methods and neglected care in LFS.

They are unfortunately:
1. Powder Blue Tang
2. Powder Brown Tang
3. Regal Tang / Hippo Tang
4. Clown Trigger
5. Threespot wrasse
6. Harlequin Tuskfish
7. Dragon Wrasse
8. Moon wrasse
9. Bi-colour fish
10. Coral beauty angelfish
11. Emperor Angelfish
12. Majestic angelfish
13. Blueface angelfish
14. Clownfish ? wild caught only
15. Maroon clown ? wild caught only
16. Comet

So I conclude the nine categories which itself is not exhaustive. The information is summarised from the Natural Reef Aquarium book by John Tullock and some of my views. The purpose is to Share knowledge as suggested by Robert Fenner in his book what I learnt, in hope we all become a Conscientious Marine Aquarist.

The End