View Single Post
Old 11-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #16
spidy

Default Back to square 1

After days and nights of research over the internet as well as visiting several local koi farm, several local filter suppliers... I am now back to square 1 !

Original intent is to build a pond that is very easy to maintain and compact thus giving more room for the koi. Therefore was looking for "high tech" filtration system versus traditional multi-chamber filter. With a small pond of 4 - 5 ton max, I have narrowed down to :

1. Pressurised Bead filter system

Pros :
Dry Hand maintenance : Pressurised Bead filter system (Aquaviolet Ultima II, Evol Aqua K1, WaterCo, Aquadyne etc) Cleaning them is as simple as flushing the toilet with just switching and turning some valves (typically 10 mins work).
Small foot print and it is external from the pond. Meaning more swimming space for the fishes.

Cons :
Lack local proven install base and expertise - Most of these systems are not available locally, I manage to track down Aquaviolet Ultima and WaterCo reseller in Singapore but they are honest enough to tell me that they mainly do swimming pool and not koi pond.
Single point of failure - since both the mechanical and biological filtration are all inside the canister. Any breakdown will be a total disaster unless one buy a separate unit to standby.
Not a single Koi Farm embrace the bead filter technology, so no support if things go wrong.

2. Traditional gravity fed multi-chamber filter

Pros : ALL koi farm I spoken to swear by it as it is proven for decades in Singapore.
Easy to build HA (High Availability) as a second submersible pump are readily available and not expensive.

Cons : Back breaking cleaning every month or sometime fortnightly. Huge water wastage during cleaning (30% water change whether you like it or not because the filter take up 30% of the pond volume)

I am now back to the drawing board on the traditional multi-chamber design.
spidy is offline   Reply With Quote