View Single Post
Old 12-09-2019, 11:13 AM   #30
loveikan
Arofanatic

PSP TALKS #1: “Poverty in Singapore and Policy Gaps in our Social Safety Nets”

Last night PSP held our very first “PSP TALKS”. This is the first of our speaker series of talks and forums to engage on issues that matter to Singaporeans.

In this talk, PSP joined the important national conversation on social inequality and poverty.

I am most grateful to Yeoh Lam Keong, the former GIC Chief Economist, for being our inaugural speaker on the problem of poverty in Singapore. He spoke clearly and urgently, helping us to understand the depth of the problem - that many citizens do not even have enough to meet their basic needs. Singaporeans are deeply concerned about this and that night Lam Keong outlined the nature and scope of the problem, it’s causes and certain urgent policy solutions that need to be taken.

The talk was live streamed online and you can watch it here (I apologize for the audio quality of the livestream. We are working on it. It will help to use headphones to listen to the talk):

https://www.facebook.com/progresssin...3339/?sfnsn=mo

While many schemes have been introduced to help the poor, I agree with Lam Keong that there is urgent need to do more.

The response to the talk was most encouraging and PSP will continue to engage on important issues by holding these talks and forums.

My thanks also to Khush Chopra, who moderated the event.

We hope that these series of talks will help rally and inspire Singaporeans to join us in charting this crucial journey of Singapore’s future direction for a better Singapore for all Singaporean’s.

For Country, For People.
loveikan is offline   Reply With Quote