View Single Post
Old 26-05-2004, 06:51 PM   #50
dragonhart
Dragon

Default sharing some experience

hi, the male do fertilize the eggs. it happens quite fast and milt/sperm are tiny so u may not see it. i didn't. however when the water turns a little milky or bubbles appear on the water surface, it should be right. Note that if the male is too young, fertilization rate tends to be low. for learning experience that's fine. i usually take them out when there are quite some eggs at the bottom and they have began eating the eggs. they will continue to spawn in the new container, so be ready. let them spawn for a while ,when they eat more than they spawn remove both parents. by the evening, the unfertilized eggs would have turn translucent while the fertilized ones are clear and u may see a black dot in it. that's the eyes. they shoud hatch on the second or third day, depending on the temperature: higher temp faster hatch.
the same pair may spawn again next week(about same day), so wake up early and watch the action.
ranchus would be sexually mature when they are 3-4 inches long. the bigger the better.

btw anyone have successful hand spawning experience and stays in the west? (me stays in jurong west). my first hand spawn failed badly. i would like to learn from him/her. appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huizhong
when the females lay eggs and the males are chasing her... will the males fertilise the eggs? i only saw them eating the eggs that are spraying out from the females...
dragonhart is offline   Reply With Quote