View Single Post
Old 22-09-2005, 05:01 PM   #37
kagemaru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panther
Master Kage,

Correct me if I'm wrong...the nitrates and nutrients occur due to the excessive waste generated by the fish and decomposition of uneaten food (eg. MP). There is also the generation of ammonia which will result in the nitrates. The nitrates, if not broken down or absorbed by any plant matter, will plague the water thus causing the algae problem.

Therefore, IMO, it's not just the overfeeding of the aros right? It should be more of whether the BB in the filter media is efficient enuff to breakdown the waste matters?

Moreover, the excessive amount of lights can also be a cause of the green water isn't it? Lastly, to remove the green water,would the passing of the water through a UVC be the best way (would this kill off the BB in the media too) or thru multiple WC? If through multiple WC, then how to change less so that parameter is not affected so drastically to cause stress while ridding the 6ft tank of the green water leh?

Just for discussion
yes its all linked...nitrogen cycle...

ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, bacteria colony...I too tired to run through everything...but u can do a search on this

multiple WC without causing too much stress?

can --> my method is have a topup tank on the side...use a denitrator to filter off part of the water and into this auto top up tank...excess amount will overflow into the main sump area...this I call the gradual drip replacement method to filter off the waste...anyway there are many gadgets I multi-link into the sump...

Sump --> FBF --> tee off to Denitrator --> auto top up tank --> main tank