View Single Post
Old 29-07-2010, 04:27 PM   #26
cavallino
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by enghai View Post

In the end, all the neglected (and out of fashion) FHs get throw into reservoirs and ponds.

I am voting "No" as such predator fish need more experience hobbyist to keep them. It either the rays will disrupted the eco system in our reservoirs/ponds or some noobies hobbyist will be hurt by the ray, say got strike in the eyes...

I do take in your feedback with thanks. You have raised valid concerns.

If you would humor me for a bit, let me explain some of the thoughts behind this move.

I believe that with or without Arofanatics, ray trading exists.

Personally, I feel it is counter- intuitive to believe that these animals that cost us few hundreds to several thousands are dumped into our reservoirs by hobbyists. I have my personal theory about how those rays enter our system, but that’s for another day.

Anyway, if you believe dumping takes place, then, like trading, it takes place with or without Arofanatics.

When legitimate avenues for trade are taken away, these activities are simply driven further underground, which in my mind, have two negative implications:

1) Animals that are unable to find homes through underground channels suffer, ironically increasing the likelihood of dumping. i.e. the market is not allowed to perform the role of distribution.

2) Asymmetric information is amplified owing to a lack of transparent information flow, which would lead to amplification in price distortions. Fraudulent sales would be more rampant. i.e. the market is not allowed to perform the role of price discovery and determination.

Arofanatics seeks to address these two issues by reinstating the market’s distribution and price determination mechanisms.

But it doesn’t end there.

Say as a licensed exporter, I receive an order from HK for 10 motoros, but I only have 5 motoros and 1 sakura on hand. I can now go into AF buy/sell, buy 3 motoros from marshy, and trade my sakura for 2 of jwhtan’s motoros.

The marketplace would thus allow breeders, stockists and exporters to organize themselves, and conduct the full spectrum of aggregation and optimization activities for export. Helping the animals access the export channels as efficiently as possible also helps to curb dumping.

The stingray species forum serves multiple functions too. Offhand, I’ll name three.

First, it provides the platform to advance the general level of stingray husbandry, thereby enabling and enhancing stockists’ ability to feed into, and support our trade exporters on a sustainable and continuous basis.

Second, it serves as the epicenter for information flow, empowering the community to weed out undesirable and disruptive influences.

Lastly, though not least, it is also kinda fun to talk cock in the forums. Or at least, I believe it’ll be a fun forum in the hands of my esteemed colleague- marshy.

Forgive me for launching into such a long post. Thank you for bearing with it.
cavallino is offline   Reply With Quote